1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible dismissal, what next?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to be identifable. Basically I've been suspended from work pending an investigation. There are other people involved but I was the only one suspended. It is not a safeguarding issue.

My question is if I get dismissed is there a chance I can get another job in teaching? I love teaching but I'm currently so upset and stressed out I can't think straight I've been to the doctor who has given me diazapam so that I can at least fall asleep.

People keep telling me I won't lose my job over what has happened (not on this forum) and I've been in touch with my union rep who is supporting me.

What are the chances of me getting a job in another school? Should I be looking for something outside of teaching? I know the information provided is vague but I'm struggling to cope when I'm on my own and I'm trying to think things out.

Any advice is welcome.
    Thank you.

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Why not wait and see the outcome first? Seems healthier than becoming even more stressed about what ifs.

Lalad, steely1, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2, but I'd also make sure that the Union is involved at ABOVE the school rep level (not clear from your post).

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

5. Bonnie23

My rep is school level, I tried contacting the regional area and he said he can't help because he's away and when I contacted the NEU two weeks ago no one got back to me. I will have to chase them again tomorrow.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Suspension is a neutral act. It does not imply guilt. It is the almost inevitable precursor to any investigation. Wait and see.

A neutral act.

7. Bonnie23

The school said that, in the letter they said it didn't imply guilt but when I'm the one suspended it really feels like guilt. It feels like I'm the one they want rid of.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know. It must be horrible. Absolutely. But just regard it as a tedious hurdle. It'll pass. Get your ducks in a row (assuming you know the details of the cause for concern) and stay as calm as you can.

rolysol, agathamorse, steely1 and 2 others like this.
  9. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Don't waste your Easter hols worrying about it, I've been there, done that and it's a total waste of time. Ring the Education Support Partnership or Samaritans if the anxiety is getting the better of you, and use your family/friends for going out and enjoying yourself with. Also do some exercise and go for walks, watch nonsense on Netflix or iplayers.

You can't keep thinking the worst. It's SO bad for you and unproductive. If they have given you the allegations, and believe me, they sometimes don't, :rolleyes:then spend constructive time going through each of them and finding evidence to the contrary. If they haven't, be prepared to go in with your rep, hear the allegations and hopefully the rep will stop the meeting, give you both time to construct your responses and then return.

There is too much being accused of nonsense on the spot and being expected to answer to it when in a state of total confusion going on in teaching. If you wish to answer there and then, say what you have to say and then go home and write a lengthy

Further to the allegations made against me today, to which I was unaware until today, I have the following to add.....blah, blah, blah.......and so on and so forth.​

You will be fine. Sometimes they go after the innocent ones so that the guilty can get overconfident and trip themselves up.;)

10. Bonnie23

Thank you for the advice so far. I'm still wondering if another school would employ me based on being dismissed? My rep thinks there's a chance of me being dismissed and I want to plan for the worst case scenario.

11. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I was dismissed recently and it is standing g in the way of me getting another job. I mention it at interviews and try to put a positive slant on it but it is definitely preventing me getting another job. If it comes to dismissal you could always 'offer' to resign instead but take your lead from your Union rep. It is not easy or straightforward dismissing someone and it may not come to this.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It completely depends on why you were dismissed and how much a school needs a teacher.
    If you are a physics teacher and dismissed as a slightly over the top reaction by an overzealous head and HR dept, then you will probably be fine.
    If you are a primary teacher who did something that might be repeated and only just stopped short of you being barred from teaching, then you've not a hope.

Ring the NEU again and again. If whatever happened is serious enough that you could be dismissed, then you definitely need more expert advice than your school level rep can give.

Best of luck.

CAFrampton likes this.
  13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Sorry to hear of this. Hope that things turn around soon.

Bedlam3, SundaeTrifle, nomad and 3 others like this.
  14. Orchid2457

Orchid2457 New commenter

Awww sorry you’re going through this. It’s awful. Firstly, you need union representation at regional level. It’s Easter now so they are on holiday. Write everything that happened down ready to tell the rep when they come back to the office after Easter Monday. Phone the NEU and urge them to escalate your case ASAP. They are usually good at doing this.

Don’t panic. This is easier said than done. Sometimes investigations lead to nothing and life resumes, sometimes people are let go. Depending on what’s happened, you could ask for an agreed reference but the union will advise on this.

I have never been dismissed but have had to end my employment abruptly at a school due to discrimination and have to say I found it difficult to obtain another job as there was always a question as to why I’d left when I did and the reference wasn’t exactly glowing, so reading between the lines, anybody with a brain could see they’d been problems. It was a case of whether they believed my version of events or not.

I went on supply as the agencies were generally more understanding and needed teachers. As there were no safeguarding issues, they were happy to take me on. I’ve been asked to apply for a permanent position for September from a stint in supply. This could be a possible route for you. I rang a few agencies whilst going through the episode described above, just to see what their policy was on taking teachers who had found themselves in my situation. I found this useful but please seek union advice first as a priority. Good luck!

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just a small word of advice- you talk of what people keep telling you but actually you are not supposed to be discussing your situation. I assume that would be union advice too.
    This is quite important in your situation because you play an important role in such an interwoven community. So irrespective of the outcome of the investigation, it is both prudent and procedurally advisable to avoid turning to friends to talk this through.
    I think union advice would be to limit "sharing" to just with your absolute closest loved ones. Talking about it with colleagues is a no no.

Obviously coming here and sharing is different because of the anonymity, which you should be careful to continue to preserve if you revisit this thread.

Tricky one, if you feel in turmoil but cannot talk about it, but it is very much advisable.

16. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

And going on from sbkrobson's point, check your letter (if you got one) of the terms of your suspension. You may well have a clause which stops you speaking to any of your colleagues in any capacity, and they may well have been told not to speak to you also. Again, this isn't an insinuation of guilt, but to stop either you influencing others or others to influence you.

I would strongly advise contacting the head office. Easter isn't until next weekend so although schools may be on holiday, they might not be. You can find district contacts here - https://neu.org.uk/listings/district-contacts

17. Bonnie23

Sorry more specifically I've talked to my family members about it and my doctor, no friends or contacts at school but I have members of my family that have worked in HR.

caterpillartobutterfly and nomad like this.
  18. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Agree with all of the advice given so far - definitely try again to contact Union at a higher level. Do that today. Really just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're going through this horrible time and hope it will be over soon. Stay strong x

19. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Bonnie, you are only going to be dismissed if its gross misconduct. Otherwise you may get a written/verbal warning... or nothing may happen after the investigation. There has to be a good reason for suspension - have they given you one?

20. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Please note Regional Centres whether NASUWT or NEU will be open until the end of Thursday and will be closed Friday and Monday.

Please ring up today. You pay your subs and you should receive, help, support and advice in this situation not somebody is on holiday.