1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible broken foot :(

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by sarahjaneturner, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Hi I'm a primary school teacher and last night I had a blackout, fainted and fell hurting my foot. It is really swollen and doesnt feel right at all :(
    I'm going to the hospital shortly to get it checked our but I'm worried about if it is broken will I be able to go to work tomorrow? I feel ok and I've been hobbling around on it all day but I'm not sure where I stand with being in school. Can anyone help?
    Thanks, Sarah

2. bnm

bnm

This is not medical advice.

When I thought I'd broken my foot (swollen, hurting, etc) I went to A&E. The doctor asked me to stand up. I did. He said "it's not broken" and sent me away with painkillers. (He was right.)
    However, whilst writing this I remember a child at 3pm told me his foot hurt. I asked when he hurt it. He said morning playtime. I asked what he'd been doing at lunchtime. He said playing football. He took his shoe and sock off and wiggled his toes for me. I sent him home and the next day had enraged parents as he had broken his foot.
    These anecdotes probably don't help you. Sorry.
    If it's broken you probably shouldn't be in school in case it gets knocked/stepped on/kicked.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You also need to get to the bottom of why you blacked out. That may be a bigger problem than your foot.

4. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

The pain from a broken foot is agonising so you would know if it were broken; you wouldn't be able to hobble about on it, let alone put it down on the floor. I was in plaster for 7 weeks when I broke my foot.
    H-B-F is right; I would be more concerned about the black-out to start with,

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It really does depend where abouts on the foot you've broken I think. I've broken the same foot twice (really...once is bad luck, twice is just careless!). The first time, I broken the very end of my little toe bone. It was agony. I did it whilst drunki (as you do) and hobbled to bed fuelled by alcohol, not realising the pain. The following day I was nearly sick with pain and had to crawl to my parents' room to tell them I needed the hospital RIGHT NOW plus the strongest painkillers they had.
    A couple of years ago, I broke a small bone in the top of my foot. It weirdly hardly hurt at all, but bruised like you wouldn't believe! Unless I actually touched the top of my foot it wasn't agony. I could limp on the foot but not take full weight on it and wouldn't have dreamt of putting a shoe on, but I could put it on the ground at least.
    So it's best to get an Xray and find out, but as snowstorm says, the blackout is a real concern and I'd suggest you need to see a doctor about THAT before you drive anywhere (esp with a potentially broken foot) or go to work.
    Hope you are OK xxxx