1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possible Acting Curriculum Director role

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by southlondonteacher, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I am currently a Head of Department (Head of subject across three key stages) and our Curriculum Director has just announced that he will be going on a one year sabbatical starting after Easter. He has been asked to put in plans for the department and has asked whether I would consider taking on the Acting Curriculum Director role. He is confident in my ability to carry out this role, which really reassures me.

I have been teaching for three years and have been Head of Department for two of those years so I am familiar with managing data for my department, writing and reviewing SOWs, managing staff, sorting out behavioural issues etc. However, I know that a Curriculum Director role has a lot more to it.

Could anyone give me an overview of the role and expectations? What do you do above and beyond the role of subject leaders? I don't want to speak to my Curriculum Director yet in case he thinks I am concerned that I can't do it. I want to make 100% sure that I know the role and whether I can do it before I say yes to his request.

Thanks in advance.

2. If your department already has clear proceedures set by your current HoF then all you need to do is follow their development plan and maintain their expectations. Your difficulties will come in managing people who you are currently level with and then going back to the level you are at now. You should talk to them about how the role is different. You should also ask about the role you are doing now - who will do it once you are acting HoF?