1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possibility of teaching in Europe after NQT year

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 1300807, Aug 6, 2018.

1. 1300807

1300807 New commenter

I am about to start my NQT year in Scotland, and I ultimately want to move to somewhere in Europe (the likes of Holland, Germany, France etc. ), as soon as possible.

I was wondering is it possible to move after the NQT year, or is it best to do a further year of Scottish teaching then start thinking about moving?

Also would it be possible to teach in the international school with no experience of the IB?

Thanks in advance

2. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

The better schools will always favour 2+ years experience, so it's not impossible but if you want to give yourself the best chance, stick it out for NQT +1.

Likewise, IB experience helps, but you should manage to land something.

You seem very focused on Western Europe: probably the most competitive area to look in. Be open to looking a little further afield (e.g. Eastern Europe, Scandinavia) as it will give you more chances.

Best of luck!

3. 1300807

1300807 New commenter

Thanks for your reassurance!

You're right, I should keep my options more open!

I know it's not essential but if it would help, do you know how I could go about getting IB experience in Scotland?

4. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Sorry, no idea. I know some schools offer the IB as an alternative to the GCSE, so maybe see if you can find any schools that do that?

5. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

The parts of Europe you mention are very competitive and, financially speaking, not great packages compared to the likes of Asia or parts of Africa (before Dumbells66 chips in), although they are usually good enough to live off for singles; couples generally both need to work. I worked in Germany for several years and have gained posts in Belgium and France (which I didn't take in the end due to promotion in my current organisation). I am not as financially motivated as some...just much more a Europhile.

Schools in "Western" Europe generally tend to be well-established and you will be protected by the labour laws of the country (which is important for me); proportion of wages which go to taxes etc. is much higher in these countries, but you get more back (eventually).

Anyway, in answer to your NQT query (which has been covered many times on this forum) as a general rule of thumb, because the schools are well-established and jobs are very competitive (and there are less cowboy outfits - if any - in these countries), they generally look for more experienced candidates. So, IB experience would be very useful for you. However, all this advice would depend on your prior experience to teaching (i.e.related industry experience, overseas work etc.), your academic credentials (not always relevant but more prestigious academic backgrounds can open doors) and - crucially - what subject and age range you teach (i.e. if you are maths, chemistry or physics you stand a better chance than most).

6. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

I came to work in France straight from university and was able to find work in an IB school. It wasn't perfect (no school is!) but I ultimately enjoyed it and worked there for 9 years.
    My husband and I sought better work-life balance than in the Paris area, though, and moved to the Netherlands last year, where we have found a lifestyle that is more satisfying on a day-to-day basis (though the less said about Dutch food the better!). I have however not found it so easy to get work in an IB school but do still work in an international school and am looking to get back into the IB system at some point as it is what I prefer compared to the environment I have worked in this year.
    If both of you are working then you can have a very nice life indeed in either France or NL (though in the former country this will be strongly influenced by how much you are prepared to spend on accommodation). If you have any questions do feel free to ask :)