1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Possibility of failing induction and school trying to sack me

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by gingergirl14, May 8, 2011.

1. Thanks for your response and advice James. I am looking to start applying for jobs this week to ensure I leave myself enough time to get one for September as I do want to leave. I will need to speak to the HT about my reference though as I'm worried it will come across poor if she continues as she has been - being negative!

They are not saying that to pass induction I need a good but that to continue at the school I need to be good. This is kind of irrelevant now as I want to leave but If I cannot find another job - do they have the right to get rid of me If I not able to be consistently and solidly good in this short space of time until May 31st that they have given me? After that point, if I have not resigned and am not 'good' then they will go through competency with me. Are schools allowed to do this now? I have been told that in my area, this is now the case. ALL teacher must be 'good' or better. I appreciate that because I want to be the best I can be and the children deserve the best but I am an NQT and it is a struggle sometimes. I guess what I am asking is, if they talk about competency and me not having a job in September again, can I argue this and how? I cannot seem to find out anything about it so have no evidence against what they are doing. They have tried doing it to other techers who eventually have either resigned or managed to reach their standard but it has been threatened.

Helen

2. Thanks for your response and advice James. I am looking to start applying for jobs this week to ensure I leave myself enough time to get one for September as I do want to leave. I will need to speak to the HT about my reference though as I'm worried it will come across poor if she continues as she has been - being negative!

They are not saying that to pass induction I need a good but that to continue at the school I need to be good. This is kind of irrelevant now as I want to leave but If I cannot find another job - do they have the right to get rid of me If I not able to be consistently and solidly good in this short space of time until May 31st that they have given me? After that point, if I have not resigned and am not 'good' then they will go through competency with me. Are schools allowed to do this now? I have been told that in my area, this is now the case. ALL teacher must be 'good' or better. I appreciate that because I want to be the best I can be and the children deserve the best but I am an NQT and it is a struggle sometimes. I guess what I am asking is, if they talk about competency and me not having a job in September again, can I argue this and how? I cannot seem to find out anything about it so have no evidence against what they are doing. They have tried doing it to other teachers who eventually have either resigned or managed to reach their standard but it has been threatened.

Helen

3. Ok that's a bit clearer. From this evidence then you should pass induction. I know that the pressure is on all Heads to have all teachers at Good or outstanding and that this pressure is exerted downwards on all teachers, but the fact is that if your post is permanent and you are not doing anything that is incompetent , negligent or illegal then no they cannot just sack you or require you to leave that would be wrong. What tends to happen is that the pressure is applied so much that people choose to leave. Perthaps if the same amount of time and effort was put into supporting people would improve and the school would benefit. Pressurising people in my experience means that you get lots of staff turnover and things then don't always improve as there is no consistency in the teaching. But heads are the ones who decide how to run their schools not me.
    If the head knows that you are considering leaving then there is no need to put undue pressure on you and every incentive to provide a reference that is supportive of you.
    All that said - judge a lesson as 'inadequate' because of one yr 6 objective (if I'm reading what you are saying correctly) is also bizarre.
    Children tend not to conform to the curriculum and scheme of work - they progress at their pace (which teachers can, I'll admit, influence to a degree, but the job of the teacher is to select objectives that meet the needs of the class not that conform to a curriculum.
    Tke care not to be pressured into resigning even if you state that it is your intention to leave. Do say that you will give 100% to your current post and meeting the demands of the current OFSTED criteria and that you will be looking to resign when another post comes along that you are offered.
    I am aware of heads who start the recruitment process before a current staff member resigns, then they try to pressurise someone to leave before they get a new job by saying that they have now appointed someone else (this is rare, but not unknown). The vast majority of heads will be supportive but from what you write it may not be the case in your position.
    James
    James

4. I am having a meeting next week with my mentor, head, LA lady and the county's NQT advisor. I have spoken to the NQT advisor who seems very supportive and will be meeting with me in private so that I can raise my concerns to her and she can support me in our group meeting. I have also spoken with the LA lady today to clarify my options again and she says that in the meeting next week it will be discussed and decided whether to extend my NQT year to give me more time to pass it as they feel I have the potential but perhaps the pressures of my school are not helpful to me. I have said I have not made a decision yet and she was supportive and gave me some useful advice. I feel more positive about things now as I know what I want to do and what will be best for my career. At the same time, I need to raise my concerns to my union again and it has been advised that a representative comes with me to the meeting.

I have documented meetings and things that have been said to me and I'm putting together a portfolio to support my case and think this will be positive.