1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poss ectopic - worried

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by haggisfish, May 1, 2012.

1. Hello everyone
    I last had period on 15 March, which should make me about six-seven weeks pregnant. However, I ovulated a week later than normal, and could have taken a few days for implantation etc, so could be as little as 5 weeks pg. Had four positive tests, but two clearblue digital ones said 2-3 weeks, about 4 days apart. My boobs were really tingly, but this has stopped now, as has utter exhaustion.

Went to hospital as I was having a small niggling pain on right hand ovary side. They did TV scan and found possible 4mm gestational sac and very possibly a yolk sac. Hcg levels 2780. Am being re-blood tested tomorrow and possibly another scan depending on results.

I am also though suffering with quite bad tummy pains - think a lot of it is gas and possibly a urinary infection - I am going to gp today to see if this is the case.

I am so worried about an ectopic - they did scan my ovaries and tubes and could see nothing that suggested one - there was a small burst luteal cyst on my right ovary, that they said is probably causing the pain.

I am just not sure whether these crampy pains are a result of my worrying and trapped gas, or whether they are something more to worry about - they are quite high and sort of remind me of Braxton Hicks from my first pg.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what was your outcome?

If you did have an ectopic, did you suffer any pain and was it quite bad?

Sorry to ask, but TESSers have always been really supportive in the past! I know I have to wait until tomorrow for a better idea, but waiting is so hard!

Thank you

2. Hello everyone
    I last had period on 15 March, which should make me about six-seven weeks pregnant. However, I ovulated a week later than normal, and could have taken a few days for implantation etc, so could be as little as 5 weeks pg. Had four positive tests, but two clearblue digital ones said 2-3 weeks, about 4 days apart. My boobs were really tingly, but this has stopped now, as has utter exhaustion.

Went to hospital as I was having a small niggling pain on right hand ovary side. They did TV scan and found possible 4mm gestational sac and very possibly a yolk sac. Hcg levels 2780. Am being re-blood tested tomorrow and possibly another scan depending on results.

I am also though suffering with quite bad tummy pains - think a lot of it is gas and possibly a urinary infection - I am going to gp today to see if this is the case.

I am so worried about an ectopic - they did scan my ovaries and tubes and could see nothing that suggested one - there was a small burst luteal cyst on my right ovary, that they said is probably causing the pain.

I am just not sure whether these crampy pains are a result of my worrying and trapped gas, or whether they are something more to worry about - they are quite high and sort of remind me of Braxton Hicks from my first pg.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what was your outcome?

If you did have an ectopic, did you suffer any pain and was it quite bad?

Sorry to ask, but TESSers have always been really supportive in the past! I know I have to wait until tomorrow for a better idea, but waiting is so hard!

Thank you

3. Hi Haggisfish,
    About 10 weeks ago I woke up with severe pains mainly in the right side of my abdomen. I did a pregnancy test which came out positive. I went to my GP who was pretty useless! At least yours referred you for scans etc. The same evening after I had seen the GP the pains got worse so I had to go to A&E.
    When they scanned my uterus they could see no sign of a pregnancy so they had assumed it was an ectopic pregnancy. I had emergency surgery where they removed the right fallopian tube and a cyst from my right ocary. I went home quite traumatised after the experience and suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks.
    It wasn't until a week and a half after the op when they checked my bloods in hospital that they found the hcg hormones had increased to 11,000 and when they scanned me again they found a 5 weeks embryo. I am now 14 weeks pregnant! The histology reports found that there was no ectopic pregnancy but that the tube may have ruptured due to the ovarian cyst. Maybe the hormones triggered it?
    Anyway, I'm really glad that you are being checked out early and hope everything turns out ok like it has for me.
    Will be thinking of you. xxx

4. Thanks unicorn - what a horrible experience for you! MY Mum asked me today 'what if they operate and you are actually pregnant?' and I was able to tell her your tale.
    I got my blood tests back - my HCG levels have doubled in 48 hours (almost exactly), which is what they are supposed to do, so this makes an ectopic much less likely, apparently. my pain is a bit better since I have been reassured slightly by that - some of it must have been tension. It is still there, though, quite stabby, but not enough to stop me in my tracks or anything.

The EPU will phone me tomorrow and hopefully book another scan just to see what is going on. I am now very grateful to live where we do, and get good early pregnancy provision.
    Fingers crossed it is all ok after all.

5. Yes I have been told by my consultant that what happened to me was very unusual and I feel very blessed that baby is growing normally.
    The signs sound good if your hcg hormones have gone up and the pain has lessened.
    Take care.

6. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I had an ectopic nearly 2 yrs ago now. Your hcg levels sound very promising, mine increased but nowhere near doubled, so will keep everything crossed for you. If you want to know anything else feel free to get in touch.