1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positives of Year 3 please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Happyday*, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have found out that I will be moving from Y6 to Y3 in September and was just wondering what the strengths of the year group are? I am a little worried that I will assume they know a lot more than they do! Any tips on managing the transition from the infants? Thank you in advance for any ideas to settle my mind.

2. golf girl

golf girl New commenter

I moved into Yr 3 in September from Yr 1 and at first I really didnt like it but Im starting tol ike it now. They can do quite alot and if you say work quite they can without mithering you!
    Good Luck! x

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

If I had a completely free choice, I'd pick Y3 every time. Still excited about learning; can work more independently; still shorter than me!

[​IMG]

4. Year 3 - independent and capable but still cute :¬)

5. I love Year 3 although at the start of the year you can forget how young they are. Make sure your expectations are clear from the start and remind them that they're big Year 3's now.
    As our school is a primary the transition isn't really an issue but could you have transition days where you go to the infants/they come to the juniors so you can get to know the children?
    I've found that Year 3's are always so eager to please and will get on with what they are asked to do. They're old enough to hold a conversation but still young enough that they believe almost anything that you tell them - next term is the term when most of them finally understand sarcasm!

6. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Less marking than Year 6?

7. inq

inq

Less stroppy and less marking than Y6, more independent and fewer 'accidents' than Reception and Y1.

8. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

When they practise being older (teen) it is actually cute instead of infuriating. They can often 'fall' for more things and get more involved. If something is creative for example or you really play it hard about Father Christmas etc. Finding out loads of information about the Egyptians/Vikings/Romans/Victorians is cool with looks of wonder as opposed to a bravado about nothing being cool in school.

9. These all sound great, thank you very much for your feedback! The adjustment from very independent Y6s to Y3 is just a little heart fluttering at the moment. [​IMG] I am looking forward to less marking & attitude though, they sound good! x