1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positives about Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kandahar, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Given that threads connected with the virus are beginning to die (succumb to lock down), perhaps now is the time to think positively.

Something that I have been musing over is how our geography might change post CV, and the positives that might feed into the environment / climate change debate.

Please, anyone contribute your thoughts - and I intend to expand further after a well earned drinking session this evening.

2. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Given the lack of people traipsing across the local hills, the wildlife will do much better this year - particularly ground nesting birds that get disturbed repeatedly by dogs whose owners don't seem to know what a lead is.

JL48, Marshall, bonxie and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think we've found out who pays the mods.

colacao17 likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The 12th July parades in Northern Ireland have been cancelled. That's definitely a positive.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I've seen a lot of couples and families out walking. When this is all over, perhaps they'll continue to go for walks together - sociable, healthy and free. So much better to walk in the fresh air, see the scenery, hear the birds, etc, than pound away on a treadmill. And just think how much they could save on gym fees!

Marshall, bonxie, Lidnod and 7 others like this.
  6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I think we will holiday more in the UK.
    Many more of us will cook our meals from scratch and grow our own fruit and veg.
    Hopefully food miles will reduce too.
    All of this will help the environment.

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

When I'm out for my daily hour's exercise, I see lots of elderly couples walking together. I'm not sure that they would do this every day in normal times - perhaps this will remind us all that we do need to be more active - we could ultimately become healthier from it.

Marshall, LondonCanary and Kandahar like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The closest thing I have to spiritual belief can be summed up in three words: Nature Bats Last.

Maybe more people will subscribe to that mode of thinking. Humankind is not the most powerful agent on the planet. The most destructive, perhaps, but not the most powerful. A more humble approach to our environment is needed, because we won't get the last word in.

That said, when normal service is resumed and Love Island and Strictly Come Dancing are back on TV and the pubs and clubs are open again it's difficult to believe that society will be pondering its role in the wider scheme of things.

Bedlam3, Marshall, coffeekid and 3 others like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Haven't they only been deferred to later in the year?

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

OH and I are practising for retirement and have managed two whole weeks without killing each other!
    There is hope...;)

mothorchid, Marshall, bonxie and 6 others like this.
  12. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

We live in a ‘town’ adjacent to a large northern city, which has sprawled into nearly a suburb of said city.
    As working adults, we don’t really know anyone but our immediate neighbours and our child’s friend’s parents.
    However, on our daily walks we have been talking to many people, just hellos and ‘isn’t it awfuls’ but it’s nice. It feels like community.

13. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

A lot more dogs seem to be getting walks now.

smoothnewt, towncryer and colacao17 like this.
  14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

So yes, it seems that more people have time to get out and about (despite the lockdown) - and who needs a gym?

A few positives I foresee (wishful thinking more likely):-

• HS2 abandoned (as it will be seen that the economy for the most part can function as well as, if not more cheaply / better using technology allowing people to work (for the most part) from home
    • Halt to further road expansion (see above)
    • Better air - and I'll be happy to see the back of any more of those grotesque 4X4s (SUV if we're US)
    • Ofsted's death - who needs them? Mr Peakster has provided a link on another thread abou this - as schools return under difficult conditions - it's time to remove any further layers of complexity / nastines
    More to follow

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No more Brexit threads on TES because it will now be impossible to tell which economic outcomes, positive or negative, result from Brexit and which from the coronavirus war. So no point in arguing about it, right? :)

JL48, mothorchid, smoothnewt and 7 others like this.
  16. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

People generally becoming more hygiene aware.
    And an end to greeting people with hugs and kisses....a habit I have always hated unless it's close family.

17. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

It doesn't harm the kids so much.

18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have had lots of time to bond with the rescue greyhound that we adopted in August. He is a big, nervy doofus with a very sweet temperament. He has learnt some basic commands and can manage a 3 mile walk.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I hope the Chinese wet markets are forced to close forever.
    As for us all staying with the home-cooking and healthful family exercise - I think they'll be the first things out of the window!

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Mrs Shedman and I seem to be growing even closer. She's even started laughing at some of my jokes! (Not very many though).