1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positive thread - post if you love your job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kkimirwin, Apr 14, 2018.

1. kkimirwin

kkimirwin New commenter

Hi there
    I am a new commenter but have used the Tes website and read the forums for years.
    I am looking to return to teaching after a 4.5 year break doing something completely different. I enjoyed it but it made me realise that the grass is not always greener (I appreciate that sometimes it is) and I miss the school atmosphere and teaching in general.
    There are lots of posts on here about teachers looking to leave, being pushed out or who are just thoroughly fed up and I get that and have been in a similar boat and hope the situation improves for any of you who are unhappy at the moment. However, I can't find many threads about people who love their job - I understand that these people probably don't need to use the forum for advice and as an outlet as much, but it would be great to hear from you if you are around. :)

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There are plenty, but on a dilemma or clinic board you will find those asking for advice. That means things aren't perfect right now. Please don't allow these boards to colour your view of the profession. Remember there are many, many thousands of teachers who never come near TES and many others who never post their happiness for fear of rebuke from the disillusioned.

I love my job and have moved around various types of school throughout my career meaning I've not had tome to get too bored. There is a similar thread on the secondary board, and it, so far, seems to have remained positive.

Pomza, Trendy Art, drvs and 2 others like this.
  3. kkimirwin

kkimirwin New commenter

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I love my job for the excellent reason that I'm still doing it. Easy to find many reasons why it is carp (just in my head, let alone reading posts here) but so what. There are lots of reasons to make my day a bit better, happy kids, actually getting some point home, having most of the kids improve from when the lesson/week/term started.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I'm happy :)

That's not to say that I haven't had some really bad experiences over the years - I have - but those have helped me to pick a school and role which really suit me and I'm loving school life and all its benefits, as I have for the majority of my career.

Know yourself and choose wisely.

7. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

I enjoy my job now more than ever and will do for life. It makes a big difference when you are at a school where your talents are appreciated both by students and staff. Spending a long time at a school enriches the relationships with the students and their families as well. There's nothing like a student who contacts you some time after leaving school to say how you made a difference to them. That's the best bit for me.

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I agree. It's a great feeling to know that you've struck a spark that's ignited a passion.

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I've worked in a lot of schools and have enjoyed being in (nearly) every one of them.

I've had many fantastic students and colleagues and I have far more good days than bad...:)

10. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

retired now but agree with the above. Inspite of others saying that you will find it difficult, I was 62 when I retired.