1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

positive teenage story!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by cheesypop, Jul 30, 2019.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Hi
    I’ve been an avid reader of these forums for years and my daughter is now nearly 15. She was not an easy baby (didn’t sleep through the night til she was 5, could make herself projectile vomit at will) and I struggled with her when she was younger. I don’t know if that was partly because I am secondary trained and I didn’t really have much contact with young children so I didn’t really ‘get’ her when she was 7, 8 etc - I found her quite frustrating. Don’t get me wrong I’ve always adored her but I didn’t always enjoy her, if you know what I mean. When I was on maternity leave sometimes my greatest daily achievement was ‘she’s still alive’. And my god she could cry.
    Anyway, she is now nearly 15 and is absolutely amazing. Funny, kind, clever, caring. One massive thing that I had never considered when she was younger is the positive impact of a sport. She’s been part of a team since she was 8 and now trains 16 hours a week - she gets to mix with girls of different ages who don’t go to her school, it keeps her organised and fit and means she’s not just glued to Netflix and her phone (although there is plenty of that!). She’s also had plenty of opportunities to experience failure and bounce back which is standing her in good stead with schoolwork. It is genuinely a pleasure to spend time with her and these school holidays have been great so far (when she was younger I once hid under the bed to get away from her she was annoying me so much, I’m not proud of that but it shows how much things have changed).
    I’m guess I’m saying for anyone who is perhaps not feeling #blessed and loving those #mummamoments maybe it’s not your time yet, but maybe it will be later.

blue451, Piscean1 and muso2 like this.
  2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Thank you for sharing this. I am about to become a mum for the first time and (despite being primary trained but totally not KS1 orientated at all!) I'm a little worried about the baby stage so reading this is very reassuring.