1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positive-only behaviour policy?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by jewelgirl, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jewelgirl

jewelgirl New commenter

Has anyone else’s school adopted/trialled a positive-only behaviour plan? We have increasing low-level behaviour issues, especially in Y34, and the whole school has had meetings which outline a trial 30-35 day positive-only behaviour plan, with a 5 step script for private instructions with disruptive children, and literally showering praise on everyone else all day long, with zero negative comments. Has it worked anywhere? Quite a few of us are sceptical, but willing to give it a go, exhausting as it has been in less than a week! Thanks.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

I'm skeptical about this too. Reminders to focus on positive comments, rewarding the children who do quietly behave consistently, and ensuring you make positive phone calls as well as negative ones, are useful. However, insisting that teachers cannot give negative comments feels unrealistic.

What is the guidance for dealing with misbehaviour? The scheme is presumably hoping that through reinforcement and observing other students being praised and rewarded, the miscreants will conform? That would take time so what are your guidelines in the mean time?

In my school, we are often presented with behaviour reports, on which we are only allowed to write positive comments. Teachers just sign them if there is nothing good to report and it means lots of things are left off which we would actually like to communicate to the head of year, thus rendering the report useless.

Has anyone else experienced this positive only approach? I'd love to hear that it works but I don't think children are quite as simple as that!

pepper5, jewelgirl and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Seems like a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Children should not be rewarded for bad behaviour.

Morgelyn and pepper5 like this.
  4. Araminta22

Araminta22 New commenter

I am at present following a course on positive classroom management at my school. in our last meeting some teachers reported that positive measures had improved the behaviour. One of them was to write on the board the names of students who work and behave well instead of the usual miscreants. I have done a lot of reading on this and the authors I have come across are Rob Plevin, Bill Rogers and a site called the smart classroom. They are all brilliant.

5. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

That's interesting. Are there any issues with students debating why they aren't on the board? Many teachers on this forum report that writing names (usually discussed with regard to misbehaviour) on the board leads to arguments. Are you finding that isn't happening when you're doing it for positive reasons?

What does getting your name on the board lead to and can you also lose it?