1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positive news and views of teaching

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Mar 27, 2017.

1. lemonyellow

lemonyellow New commenter

I am a Canadian teacher and in the big cities it is hard to get work unless you have some crazy specialty (ability to teach in French, high school math/science, etc). There is work if you want to work in certain parts of rural Canada. Keep in mind, some of these places are 12-18+ hrs drive from a city. The pay varies dramatically from province to province, with a spread of up to $40,000/year difference. I can't speak to conditions because I don't know how bad/good things are there, but conditions here are not great in public schools. Classrooms here start empty except for desks. If you want books for your students to read you'll have to buy them yourself, if you want interesting art supplies you buy them yourself, I've bought everything from pencils to food and clothing for my students. I even had to buy my own curtains (window coverings were required for lock down drills, but not provided by the school). We are not in an easy profession and unfortunately in Canada it is one of the least respected professions. The grass always seems greener somewhere else right?

wanet and palmtree100 like this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It is already happening. I think they should personally sue, name and shame every civil servant involved in fat cat MATS. Shocking theft and betrayal.

drek likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Oh dear. Plan D it is then.....

lemonyellow likes this.
  4. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I'm not sure you read that properly.

Yes, there is an attitude in the public that they won't listen to teachers moaning.

The big difference coming is that it won't be teachers moaning, it'll be PARENTS' experiences and those of their children.

Taboo71 and drek like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wasn't being entirely serious Peter !

The only chance we have of getting anything done about the upcoming funding crisis is if parents really make a fuss. I'm afraid teachers have very little traction in this country.

6. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I agree, but it still depresses me how many parents cannot separate teachers from government. I have just read through a friend's FB rant about how stressed her child is about forthcoming SATS, and the number of others that have joined in blaming it all on teachers has annoyed me no end. Apparently, we enjoy making children stressed and we do it ' to make ourselves look good.'

drek, Shedman and PeterQuint like this.
  7. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

What an odd comment given that my old friend Wiki informs me that:

"The official languages of Canada are English and French, which "have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and Government of Canada," according to Canada's constitution"

8. Martial_Artiste

Martial_Artiste New commenter

I'm pretty happy now but have done supply for a short time and there is such a range within schools. I'm not sure if it would be better anywhere else in another sector?

For now though I enjoy the holidays and the pay. Come the day not I no longer enjoy my work then I'll look for something else to do with my life.

Shedman likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Having been accused of being too negative regarding teaching on another thread, I return to this thread to bump it up the list to give fellow Tessers a chance to tell us how great teaching actually is.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

But the Tory Toffs don’t help matters.

11. Mrsmumbles

Yes, but of course, pumping millions and million some of pounds into a dead MAT duck is MUCH cleverer and more sensible than accepting that to keep UPS teachers who live locally, are actually food, well trained, enthusiastic and likely to stay would have involved the school’s paying the whopping few extra k a year in upper pay scale salaries...MUCH cleverer. No support for the workers there. Yep, up the workers! Let’s all go online and work for ourselves, leaving the Napoleonic porkers alone at their soon-to-become bankrupt trough.

palmtree100 and Shedman like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Well that’s thoroughly depressed me for the day. I thought Canada was the great bright hope!

BetterNow and Shedman like this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Er...I meant ‘good’, not ‘food’...mind you, they do end up as capability process food!

14. Mrsmumbles

A lot of parents are remarkably thick and under informed about the national teaching crisis. Others are just being pragmatic and do not moan because they are paying tutors to plug gaps. The level of SLT ineptitude in some schools astounds me. I spent most of last week emailing grammar worksheets to a student’s ‘Head’ of SEN as she seems incapable of helping the student herself. Excellent.

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's bad enough having your thread hijacked but when it's yet another survey masquerading as 'research' I absolutely despair!!

Busola93, one of the key aspects of genuine 'research' is that you can verify and establish the credentials of those contributing to your assignment. This is a public forum and any old Tom, Dick or Harriet can submit responses to your survey. Not all who post on here are teachers and there may well be mischief makers who submit phoney or malicious responses (eg ME!) and you have absolutely no idea of what's what. This is simply rubbish research and is completely without merit. Contact local primary schools and arrange to interview teachers face to face like a proper researcher instead of expecting other mugs to do your work for you.

border_walker and drek like this.
  16. busola93

busola93 New commenter

ok

drvs likes this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm posting this to bump up this thread as someone else has posted a thread about the good things about teaching and they may find some comments here that are relevant.

18. Taboo71

Taboo71 New commenter

Teaching is great!

I have progressed with still standing from a glass of wine to a bottle of wine....a night !!

drek likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's alcoholism - not teaching.

drek likes this.
  20. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

I agree with this . I taught in reception for two years (left 2 years ago) , and I see one of the girls I taught every week when I take my son swimming . Without fail she comes up to me every week , hugs me and confidently tells me all about her week !
    It's special that she wants to share her news with me