1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positive news and views of teaching

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh dear that I so depressing. Bang goes my plan B. Hardly any good part time jobs either. A plumber gets 90 quid AN HOUR. Crisis, what crisis?

2. Mrsmumbles

Napoleon the Pig Boss holds a rally at Animal Farm. All the other farm boss piggies attend, congratulating themselves on how great farm productivity is and for such low food rations to their slave animal workers. Sound familiar? Gove. Animal anti hero, first class.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Yup!

peggylu and eljefeb90 like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Is the typical British school now resembling Gotham City?!
    Can someone please get rid of the Joker and Riddler please?

5. Mrsmumbles

'In lieu' is a horrible-sounding phrase, a bit like the noise my cat makes when retching up a fireball. Should be a fair day of work for a fair day of pay. Come on, NEU! Jump to it!

6. Mrsmumbles

Now run along to Michael and collect your cheque...or maybe start your own positive new thread, I beg you, you could call your thread..
    Why I am so happy to teach and not like other moany teachers...
    I used to work in industry so am used to aggressive PM systems
    I didn't study my subject for five years and do a full PGCE on top, so naturally I know far FAR more than these egotistic entitled know it alls..
    Why Gove knew best..

Alldone likes this.
  7. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Senior commenter

Similar to others here, now I think about it, most days are actually good. Very good, even.

Me in the classroom, door shut, just teaching. Great stuff.

It's the odd days of stress which make teaching a Curate's Egg in the most accurate sense.

8. PeterQuint

Grammars - As I've said, I don't think there'll be any significant increase in these.
    Failing free schools - They come back to the schools to which they would have gone
    Failing MATs - When a MAT fails you have to do absolutely nothing. Lots of academies out there not in MATs. I work in an academy in a MAT which used to be an academy not in a MAT. If the MAT dissolved we'd just go back to how we were. Who'd pick up the bill? Are you joking! Do you know how much extra money we'd have if we weren't in the MAT!
    Pay freezes - Yes there will (we can play this all day if you wish, but history tells us there will be)
    Syllabus - The perfect storm is the time after which things will get better, because if they don't you'll get tory MPs losing their seats
    Funding - See 'pay freezes' (above)

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Peter - please tell me when there has been anything other than the occasional 1% rise for teachers in your teaching lifetime.

Do you REALLY think this government is going to award public sector workers anything in the next five years ?

The coming funding squeeze is very real and not something you should just dismiss. I teach in the county with one of the lowest levels of funding in the country. We are already having to cut.

peggylu and Mrsmumbles like this.
  10. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Hilarious.

"It's the way you tell 'em"

I 'm only surprised that you didn't inveighle us to don a tin hat and join Norman Tebbit on his bike as he rides towards Gib to repulse Johnny Foreigner and hurtle back not 30 but 300 years.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Positives? Children are still children! I still enjoy helping them discover amazing things.

peggylu likes this.
  12. PeterQuint

Easy. Back in about 2002 (or whenever it was) when UPS was introduced.

It meant that, once you hit the top of the scale you still had an extra £4,000 to go. It took a few years to work through, but a £4,000 wage rise was significant.

It'd certainly be welcome now!

13. Mrsmumbles

Peter sounds suspiciously close to retirement and demob-happy!

14. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Two of my (yr 6) pupils attended a discussion group as anti-bullying ambassadors last week. When they came back, the teacher who accompanied them told me that one of them, when discussing whether the syllabus should be related to "real-life" said that I already "was really good at that". I've been floating on cloud nine ever since.

peggylu likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

UPS was 14 years ago Peter and the cash for it ran out years ago

peggylu and Anonymity like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

...and many teachers that made t to UPS3 were subsequently driven out because they were deemed too expensive.

Academies would employ teachers on zero hours contracts if they thought they could get away with it.

peggylu, eljefeb90 and Anonymity like this.
  17. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Senior commenter

As I remember it, Labour introduced the upper pay scale to keep good practitioners in the classroom and the scale went up to 10000 on top in 2000 increments but 2 year pm cycle. It was advertised as classroom teachers could earn 40,000 instead of leaving the classroom into management.
    Ironic really in that it is often the reason so many UPS teachers are not in the classroom - too expensive, nothing to do with bad practioners.

peggylu, eljefeb90 and Shedman like this.
  18. PeterQuint

Not ****ing close enough. :D

bevdex and Shedman like this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Yes exactly. When we had the joy of closing the classroom door and being kings and queens of our own nice classrooms and having independence and control, it made up for tal, the existing boring admin. Now it's almost all admin. They've invaded our classroom space and nowhere is safe.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

About three times during my career. Once after years of strikes, but we lost 5 days of holiday (forever) - the not so good old Baker Days.
    There was a reasonable pay rise in about '95 when John Major's government realised teaching was becoming unappealing in a recovering economy and finally when UPS was introduced,

PeterQuint likes this.