1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positive news and views of teaching

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

PeterQuint likes this.
  2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Shedman, I appreciate the positivity.

However, my conscience tells me this. I have two children, and I would strongly recommend that they do not become teachers. If they really wanted to do so, I'd try my best to talk them out of it. For myself, were I not approaching retirement and could find another job of similar pay at my time of life, I'd be out of here like a shot.

It's not that there are no pluses, there are. But at the moment the negatives far outweight them.

I'm afraid it would be utterly hypocritical of me to talk others into joining a profession I would want my own children to avoid, and which I myself woud gladly leave.

For what it's worth, the positives are self-evident. Long holidays, a reasonable pension, and it's rewarding to think that you're helping develop and shape young minds.

But off the top of my head, that's it. All the other little perks and niceities have disappeared, as far as I can tell.

To be fair to you, if I think of any I'll post them here. There may be the odd one I've forgotten at the moment.

Best wishes, though. Keep it up.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Catgirl1964, Taboo71, TCSC47 and 13 others like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

PeterQuint, Thanks for a considered and genuine response. I too struggle for find many positives in a teaching career. Like you, I am approaching retirement and have just a few months to go but I have young grandchildren who will be starting school in a year or two's time; I want them to have a happy, memorable experience of their childhood schooling but I fear for what schools will be like for them. The shrinking curriculum and high stakes testing - the same old monotonous academic diet drilled into them just to pass tests. The lack of opportunities caused through lack of funding. I want to be positive about our schools, I want our teachers to be motivated and enthused but I wonder if all the positivity about teaching is simply being bled from us under the current regime.

4. drek

drek Lead commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-views/getting-rid-staff-isnt-answer
    This guy sounds like he's got the right approach in a crazy circus but unfortunately he is the exception to the rule.

I've heard too many people talking about pay deals for friends and family raking a huge profit for themselves out of school takeovers, whilst keeping the workers (teaching and TA staff) with their noses to the grindstone with learning walks and judgemental observations to blind them to the big scam that's actually taking place.

The basic psychology behind the scam is Tesco and Morrison 24 hour service worthy. (Zero hour contracts etc)

The younger the teachers the more impressed they are with a 22k starting salary (it's a lot when you are still living with mum and dad) and labels describing them as super teachers from their very first lesson onwards, until they realise that's where most of them will stagnate if they don't agree to lead roles they are entirely unprepared for.

They have either got to reverse govian policies or carry on running education the pathetic way it's heading.

5. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

There are still some little pockets where this is a good job.
    The holidays are great, I know that term time is grim BUT there is the choice of taking marking home or staying in school.
    The occasions when you look at a piece of great work and think "I taught them that."
    The times when ex pupils (many now parents themselves) remember you in the "outside" world and say hello.

pineapplehead and slingshotsally like this.
  6. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Hmmmm. I kind of get what this person is asking for but I think this glut of teacher horror stories has come about because a) the profession has reached critical mass and b) teachers are trying to the message out there that the system's broken. There are positives to the job but at the moment, for many, they are inconsequential compared to the negatives/cost. Building bonds and relationships with the children in the classroom? Great! But no time to have a relationship with your own children. I guess the irony is that when I read this article I immediately became defensive; but this is because it is becoming intolerable for many and I don't want the general public / government to ignore it.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Lead commenter

I said this before but I'll say it again:"I'm just glad I'm out of it".:oops:

The problem for any new teacher coming into the profession is that it is a complete lottery.

Yes they may get lucky and find one of the schools that you can actually do a job of work in.

But, then again, they will probably end up at one of the many who's only intent, it seems, is to destroy their very soul and will to live.

This has to stop, and stop soon otherwise a whole generation of young will suffer the consequences.

drek likes this.
  8. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

I love the actual teaching part of teaching. The working with pupils making a difference when you see those little light bulbs spark in their eyes when they finally understand something. The kids make the job worth doing and obviously the holidays are great and term time only is fab for me with my own kids.

However the unmanageable workload which doesn't help pupils combined with the string of THIS NO THIS NO THIS in government initiatives and the chasing of that elusive ofsted outstanding that is the only mark worth having, the pressure to have every single child achieve exceptional ambitious targets (which you are held to account for them not achieving even if they make good progress) along with the public berating and de-professionalisation (is that a word??) of the job of teaching is heartbreaking for people who work very hard for pupils.

Teachers care we really do which is why it hurts so much when we are told we fail and let children down. I worry for education both for my career but more importantly for the education of my children. I want them to enjoy learning and have a full and rich curriculum. I don't care if they don't get level 5 or 6 in year 6 SATS if they are happy and learning and more importantly enjoy school. Education is at a crisis point and I think people deserve to know that in a wider sense. If negativity about the situation the profession is in is currently high on the news agenda then the government and authorities need to fix it at the root of the problem!

9. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I've had some really rewarding and happy moments in teaching over nearly 30 years. I've been brought to tears by how amazing some of the children have been and the caring support I've had from colleagues. But these moments are like pearls - they are special because they are rare.
    This request for positive teaching stories feels a bit like asking an abused woman to ignore the way her partner has ground down her sense of self over years, and to focus on the couple of hours a week when he treats her well. It goes against the grain.*

*Him Indoors treats me impeccably, BTW!

10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Here is some really positive news about teaching.
    If you are feeling suicidal about your job as a schoolteacher in a British school, then the Samaritans helpline telephone number has now been pinned to the top of the "Workplace Dilemmas" forum, in the TES Staffroom. Think how many lives this could save. This has got to be positive news about teaching.
    Some more positive news about teaching is that more schools are now run as businesses, than are controlled by LEAs. Look at the profit potential for the future - excellent news.
    Further positive news has to be the increasing number of young, wide eyed, bright young NQTs entering the classroom as "teachers" and the number of expensive, highly experienced rubbish teachers that are being Performance Managed out the door.
    On the back of this is the excellent news that nearly two NQTs can be employed for the cost of one experienced teacher. Excellent news for the school budget.
    Most school teachers in England appear to be demoralised and are considering leaving the "profession" in the near future/if they could. Sir Michael Wilshaw stated "show me a school where the teachers are demoralised and I will shown you a head who is doing something right". Clearly, most Heads are doing something right. I defy you to find better evidence of positive news for the teaching profession.
    Too many gloom and doom, glass half empty merchants on these threads. What the teaching profession needs is a few more glass half full Pollyannas. Watch this brilliant advert. It should attract a huge number of new entrants to the profession. This has to be really positive news for teachers, for The Businesses and for the kids.
    £25,000 bursary? More excellent news about teaching too - it just gets better and better!

Now, where was that Samaritans telephone number?

11. schoolsout4summer

Sally006 and Anonymity like this.
  12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOLOLOLOL Except that a great many schools in struggling areas (and probably others) are recruiting from Canada because teachers there think horrible primaries here are a better bet than their own!

Pomz likes this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. drek

drek Lead commenter

Pension can be taken off you after one observation even if you've had 15 years of being a good teacher.

It's not a perk anymore for the experienced teacher. Most that I know of are limping towards it desperately.

The positives are felt by new joiners but only if they are on the right scheme and are labelled outstanding from day 1 and fast tracked to leadership because they are so brilliant. lol
    And of course positives felt by the chief executives who can award themselves anything they want. They have to play monopoly with schools rather than hotels and be able to play a lot of golf to enjoy the perks naturally. What a chore!

16. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I was told it's because it's hard to find a teaching job in Canada, because the working conditions are so good.

17. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

I could add some positives, but they are long ago – I’ve been retired 10 years this week – and in a foreign country – Australia.

I could also give some horror stories – also long ago and in Australia.

Instead I’ll say that things are looking up here in my state because people took a stand and did not give up.

The grim situation the teachers of England find themselves in can be corrected by political action, and only by political action. There is no fairy godmother. There is just a mess, which will remain a mess until sufficient someones decide to act on it.

I have posted at length along these lines before. I’m not doing so this time. We endured a disaster for seven years – we are fixing it, slowly and imperfectly. You can do the same.

18. schoolsout4summer

If I was much younger I would emigrate to Australia.
    Anyone know how to turn the clock back 30 years?

Mrsmumbles and Shedman like this.
  19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Trigger Article 50?

20. drvs

drvs Star commenter