1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positive Behaviour Policy

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by bullfrog123, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hi everyone.
    I am involved in an action group which aims to improve and buiild on our existing Positive Behaviour Policy. In particular I am interested to know how other schools/teachers encourage KS4 and what they use as incentives to encourage an accumulation of merits/credits/house points.
    All responses welcome!
    Thank you.

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

If you implement a points competition or similar, I'd advise that you kept the time scale down to a month or two. maximum, and then restart the process. Any longer than that and people tend to lose sight of the prize; we do, I must say, rather like instant gratification, and while enlightened egoism might suggest that delayed pleasure is often more satisfying, I wouldn't bank on it as a long term motivator. Keep the terms short, and reset every month or so.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

3. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Excellent point. Just like teaching our subjects, when we teach behaviour, we should vary our styles and our approaches regularly.

4. Although delayed gratification should be rewarded too. IMO.