1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Positional language maths activities - help!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by becpay, May 13, 2007.

1. Hi

I am doing positional language next week but am getting a bit stuck for activity ideas! We are looking at snails. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. Hi

I am doing positional language next week but am getting a bit stuck for activity ideas! We are looking at snails. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

3. We did an obstacle corse which the childen had to do blindfolded. They had to guide their partners around using positional and directional language. Hope this helps.

4. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

hi bec pay

are you using the plans from southwark borough? We use these too and our theme for the week is snails - we are using the suggested weekly text of snail trail which is all about the snail going on his journey - through the sticks, over the hill, up, down, under etc. I was going to do a shared reading session where the childre do appropriate actions, we are also doing our PE using things like through the hoops, under the rope, around the cones etc and making a small world area for clay snails with obstacles for them to go on, off, under, over, etc - the children are going to help make the small world with junk modelling materials and we are going to make the snails out of play too as our PD activity.

hope this helps

I got the book from amazon and think its by ruth brown. But you wouldnt need the book to do these activities of course!

5. dilysem

dilysem New commenter

'robot game' with children giving instructions, e.g stand/sit/crouch under/behind/in between/infront of
    Same with little play people.
    A grid with roamer/beebot and a few pictures/colours/shapes stuck on and child giving instructions - start on the square next to/beside etc and send it to........ (they weren't allowed to start or finish on a square with a picture on)
    We found 'in front of/ behind very difficult unless youre facing the same way as the rest of a stationary group of children!