1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Position of satnav? Where do you mount yours?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, Oct 29, 2011.

1. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Seriously?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I use a map if I am going somewhere for the first time.

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I have a weighted non-slip mat so that it sits on top of the dashboard, above the radio. It therefore does not block any part of the windscreen at all but is easy to see.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Best left in the Glove Box ....

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I just sit in it the little space behind the gear stick normally, can hear it and glance down quickly if necessary. Don't like it on the dash, too distracting.

6. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I find it really hard to use a map when i am alone in an unknown city as you can't really look at at it as you drive and sudden decisions are needed on roundabouts etc and the traffic on the roads nowadays doesn't make it easy to change lanes when you make a mistake. Also means I dont need to buy maps for loads of different places.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Nowhere, I haven't got one.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Bottom right corner of the car windscreen works best for me.

9. Plymouth maid. Agree.
    See various folks with them mounted high up, but vision could be obscured.
    Need to get to schools in a rush in the mornings on supply; especially when driving through rushhour Brum traffic where I do not have the time to fiddle round with a map or park in a quiet place to study maps! Time to move on with the times..

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Middle of the screen, low down for me. It means that the passenger can work it as well if required and the wire is not trailing across the steering wheel. You can also glance at it without taking your eyes off the road.

11. Yes, me too.

12. Im not sure why people have such an issue with satnavs. I think its so they can pretend they are too cool for them. That or they can't figure out how to use them :p

I use my phone with google navigate (free and as good, if not better, than our TomTom as it updates itself for free), and it came with a car cradly which sticks onto the windscreen - I have it in the middle fairly low down, and don't find it obscures my view anymore than my rear view mirror might. You just get used to it. I use the pictures more than the verbal instructions so need it to be somewhere I can see it.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I can read maps as well as anyone and better than most, but I have no moral qualms at all about employing a SatNav - especially in France where the Michelin road maps read like works of fiction.

True SatNav geeks might like to take a look at www.poieditor.com where you can make your own SatNav itineraries and Point Of Interest files. Great if you're touring.

14. Main car - the suction cup got nicked when it got broken into, the replacement one, well... sucks in the sucking department so it's jammed into an empty slot on the central console and fits well down there, next to the cigarette lighter if it needs a charge and not blocking the windscreen.
    Dodgem of doom that I drive during the week - bottom of the windscreen-centre - mainly because it's a multi-purpose holder that doubles up as my iPod holder in there and it makes the run for the wire out into the stereo less.
    Both not blocking the view of the road - neither by good judgement and more just blind luck.

15. Same here. Can't cope with it in the middle of the windscreen.

16. Dashboard for me! Usually in a rush, so that way it's much easier to whip it in and out of the glovebox.

17. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Centre bottom for me, too. The cable isn't getting in the way, it's in my "natural" eyeline compared to the corner and it's to my left...and since I'm left-handed, makes it easier to use.

18. Propped up on the passenger seat. A suction mark on dashboard tells everyone you have a satnav. Not tried a mat. Did I see Lakeland did something ? But hey, why waste money?
    I use my sat nav a lot. I like to know what lane I need to be in in a new city.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think thieves assume you've got a Sat Nav even if there's no suction mark. I have mine on the window but it's getting a nasty habit of coming off at critical moments.