1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Position of an adverb

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Imtellingonyou, May 8, 2012.

1. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

Where should the adverb go in this sentence:
    Sophie crept inside the house.
    Does it have to come after the verb or can it go before? e.g. Sophie quietly crept inside the house.
    I know it can be a sentence opener - Quietly, Sophie crept inside the house.
    Thanks

2. Imtellingonyou

Where should the adverb go in this sentence:
    Sophie crept inside the house.
    Does it have to come after the verb or can it go before? e.g. Sophie quietly crept inside the house.
    I know it can be a sentence opener - Quietly, Sophie crept inside the house.
    Thanks

3. oooooo . . . the old 'to boldy go' debate. Spilt infinitive here we come. I think it's meant to be 'crept quietly' . . . but play with it!

4. Surely it could go before or after the verb, or even at the start or end of the sentence. More able would be able to tell you how it shifts the emphasis in the sentence.

5. Imtellingonyou

More able Year 2s?
    Thanks for your help!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

primaryclass is correct, the placing of the adverb creates different emphases
    'Sophie crept quietly' describes the verb- <u>how</u> she crept
    At the start of the sentence the emphasis is on the adverb quietly and points the reader to the lack of noise.
    Generally, if used as a descriptive word the adverb should come after the verb it describes, but then English is known for not always sticking to the 'rules'.

7. Sophie crept quietly inside the house.

8. It's the 'inside' that's bothering me a little[​IMG]

9. Lara mfl 05

I agree, the 'inside' bothered me too and it should be 'into' or 'around' but the original poster was asking about the position of the adverb.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Couldn't they already be inside the house and that is where they were creeping. As opposed to something else happening outside the house?

11. Why do you need quietly and crept? It's a redundant adverb. If you have to have it it sounds best after the verb.

12. Oh dear. I really didn't mean to start an argument[​IMG]

13. Lara mfl 05

Just to be pernickety, if that were the case you'd use the continous perfect form of the verb
    Sophie <u>was creeping</u> quietly inside the house. (adverb still goes after the verb)

14. I may be wrong, but wouldn't the past perfect continuous be...
    Sophie had been creeping quietly inside the house?
    [​IMG]

15. Lara mfl 05

You're quite right it's continous imperfect.