1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Position and pregnant

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sickandtired, Jan 24, 2016.

1. sickandtired

sickandtired New commenter

Hi all, I wondered if you could help?

I'm in an acting position at the moment and it's been going well so far. I went for a diff role recently and was overlooked and then said to the head I'd need to resign in the heat of the moment.

Now... You've read the punchline already- I've just found out I'm pregnant. Acting position due to be reviewed at Easter but most likely before. Is it sneaky to keep position and then drop the news?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Congratulations on your news! :)

My understanding is that employers prefer not to know in order that there can be no chance of being accused of discrimination!

Other people may come to offer more advice here, but you could try posting this in the Pregnancy Forum too.

3. sickandtired

Thank you, Marlin! Yep I'll post over there too.

Sound advice.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations, @sickandtired ! That's great news. Get as much sleep as you can now, to build up a reserve!

Yes, that's right.

So don't tell anyone, keep it off Facebook too . . .

You've told us, and we're excited with you!

[​IMG]

.​

baitranger likes this.
  5. sickandtired

Aaaaaaaah thank you!!! Yes- no one know apart from hubby and best friend! I'll keep it under my hat for now

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

this is the only bit i do not get. What reasoning have you given?

7. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Definitely keep it to yourself for now, that's best in my experience. You are under no legal obligation to tell the school until a certain point through the pregnancy anyway so it's currently none of their business and if you feel that you would be overlooked again due to the pregnancy then you are best to do just this. They shouldn't be discrimination against you, but unfortunately many still do so best not to give them a reason just in case. Have you had official feedback on your acting role? Get that in writing too if you can so you can use it to re-apply, or get the acting confirmed as permanent.

Congratulations though!! :)

8. sickandtired

Great advice- thank you. I've asked about the acting role so will hopefully find out soon!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fingers crossed for you!

Best wishes

10. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I think the maternity pay is based on an average of your last 27 weeks pay anyway in case that's part of your concern. So many things to think about with this, worth a good look at the maternity leave documents sooner rather than later. Congratulations, welcome to the world of joyful chaos!