1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Portuguese GCSE

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by josephiney, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hi all, I've got a few native portuguese speakers in school at the moment, and am thinking of getting them to do portuguese GCSE this year. It seems that only OCR offer the GCSE in portuguese. I'm wondering if anybody has done this and how they've found it. And also, does anybody know of a suitable textbook to use as a basis? (obviously they can speak portuguese, but it would be nice to have something more topic specific to do with them).

Obrigada! [​IMG]

2. Hi all, I've got a few native portuguese speakers in school at the moment, and am thinking of getting them to do portuguese GCSE this year. It seems that only OCR offer the GCSE in portuguese. I'm wondering if anybody has done this and how they've found it. And also, does anybody know of a suitable textbook to use as a basis? (obviously they can speak portuguese, but it would be nice to have something more topic specific to do with them).

Obrigada! [​IMG]

3. One of my pupils did this privately - didnt even know he'd done it!

If they are native speakes I don't think you need a text book. Just give them a few lessons on technique ie what is required to show off for top grade in oral and written, The leave them to it. they'll get top grades!

4. One of our Y7s did this with OCR last year. Don't think she did any work, except revise written language with her mum. She got an 'A' grade.
    The Higher listening was connected with Angola. I understood that!

5. Thanks for the replies. I'd still like to have a textbook if possible, because none of them can write portuguese particularly well and their reading isn't brilliant. I have four native speakers (for want of a better word); two are sisters who lived in portugal until they were five, one has lived in england her whole life but speaks portuguese at home and the other has a portuguese mum and has lived in portugal for the last two years. I have a book that I used at uni when I did ab initio portuguese, which I suppose I could use to be fair, but to be honest, it'll be more of a test for me than it will for them!!

6. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

Portuguese isn't one of my languages, nor does my school have any Lusophones so far as I'm aware, but I have had experience entering a Year 7 native speaker of German, which is one of my languages, for GCSE. She too excelled in speaking but let herself down in writing German, because of interference from the spelling of English, which is the language in which she formally learned to write. My response was to write a German phonics course for her and it's still on my website at
    http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/mfl/Year7German/spelling/
    German has a logical spelling system and her spelling quickly improved to the extent that she achieved an A in her writing paper as well as in every other skill.
    I don't know how transferable this experience is to Portuguese, but using first-language skill development techniques, i.e. phonics and spelling work, appeared to produce good results in my case, leading to greater accuracy in written communication. Using the Internet, like I did, you could research how Portuguese spelling is taught to primary-age native speakers of the language and teach your native speakers the same basics in the same way. If your students have other problems in written Portuguese, of course, e.g. serious grammatical failings, then that may require different solutions.

7. Hi, a pupil emerged just before Christmas asking to do Portuguese - he has a Brazilian mother and hence should be pretty decent at speaking and reading/listening.
    Did you have any luck finding a textbook? I have found a few websites which look reasonable for practising grammar and things but not much more than that, I can send you links to these if you need them.
    Also, I can only find the specimen and 2010 OCR GCSE papers. Have you got any more or found any more?