1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Portugal salary

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MayaJones, Jun 6, 2018.

1. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Hi,
    Been offered 3140 euros NET (teaching only 20 years experience) after all deductions in Lisbon. Housing allowance included in that. Take home is 3140 and after rent left with around 2250 euros.
    Would you say that is a good deal for a lovely place like Lisbon? I believe it to be an exceptional offer for southern Europe.

Thank you for your input.

M

mjvillafranca likes this.
  2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Yes, congratulations, that's a fabulous offer for the Iberian Peninsula. I'm sure you're worth it!

3. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Wow. Great offer for the location. This is how it should be in Spain/Portugal/Italy etc.

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

An incredibly high offer. Double check it's for 12 months not 10, but sounds very attractive! You'll have to hint at the school...

5. dharcock

dharcock New commenter

Hey MayaJones
    congratulations! That sounds great!
    I am really keen on making a move to Portugal, but money concerns are worrying. Could I send you a PM to ask about how you managed to get such a great offer?

Cheers and regards, Dan

6. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

It should be said that the net amount includes a 500 bonus for some additional responsibilities. I will not be managing people or leading a department.
    I am high up on their scale as I have 20 years' experience. I get a bit more for having an M.A Degree.
    I think the big difference is actually getting a 1000 euro (before tax) housing allowance which is rare in this part of the world.
    The July and August pay is 500 less as there are no bonuses. That said, I get double the July salary in July as another bonus.
    Can't name the school on here, sorry.

7. dharcock

dharcock New commenter

Thanks MayaJones.
    Good to know that you can pick u a decent wage in Portugal.
    Is it ok to PM you? I have a couple more questions regarding the school.
    Kind regards,
    dharcock

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Not in the country but in an ex colony with pretty much ALL the same facilities etc and i earn that nett in 8 days.

People should see the difference between "nice" countiries, and excactly the same countries but not on an obvious comparison......seriously there is Nothing between this country and where i am, i just get 4 times the salary, plus all the bsnefits

9. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

In at least one school in PT, the housing allowance gradually decreases year by year. But that aside, yes, it's a great offer and I'm a little bit envious. Good luck, PT and the portuguese are lovely.

10. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

There was always going to be one clown who would react nastily. Thanks to the others for your kind remarks.

MinusNothing likes this.
  11. masty88

masty88 New commenter

I don't think dumbbells was trying to rain on your parade Maya, that's not his style. I've found his advice and encouragement invaluable over the past few months while considering a move overseas. Congratulations btw on securing a fantastic position :)

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Oh come on, you surely aren't comparing Portugal with Angola!!!

Anyway, that's an amazing wage for such a desirable place. Well done.

ecair and yasf like this.
  13. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Yes, seems an awesome salary as people have already mentioned. Grab it with both hands!!

A regular licensed teacher in a French state school won't even get that after 20 years and the cost of living there is so much higher than Portugal.

If I saw that offer my first thoughts would be "it's a scam" but you do mention you have 20 years of experience.

14. Congratulations!! Yes it is really rare to find an offer like that one, i live in Spain and find it hard to find a well paid Job , Im actually thinking of looking in other countries like Portugal or UK.

15. emilyfoskettmallett

emilyfoskettmallett New commenter

That's amazing!!
    Are you at OIS?

16. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

"There was always going to be one clown"

And this one is the board clown no less. What it earns can double depending on how it is feeling and if 'expenses' are taken into account. It also talks about children in some countries in the most derogatory terms, unfitting of any decent teacher, just because it could not cut it there.

The quality of life in Portugal is second to none. Have a great time.

17. dumbbells66

Get over yourself @swsimp160 or @4019775, or whichever account you want to use.

When you finally make it on to the circuit and not just pretend to know what you're talking about, because you got burned by an extremely low level school in Nigeria that none of the rest of us would have touched...once you have even a 1000th of the international experience i do, i might stop laughing out loud at all your pathetic comments.

18. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Interesting - I've never read any comments along those lines, and I would have picked him up for doing so if I had.

Personally I think that the OP has got a great package for Western Europe - well done ! That said, I also think that @dumbbells66 does a really good job raising awareness about the large number of dodgy schools in Spain. With a bit of luck it will make enough of an impact to force them to up their game.

19. twisty08

twisty08 New commenter

I don't advise people to work at the main school in Luanda. The salary is poor for the location. Staff often spend most of their time living on a compound - violent crimes kidnappings are not uncommon.

If you want to live a boring life and save a bit of money while couped up in the compound then I guess it is do-able for a couple of years.

But if saving is your goal, there are much better opportunities for well qualified teachers. I now earn FAR more than the salary dumbbells quotes and I don't have to spend most of my time on a compound.

20. dumbbells66

Each to their own. I love it here.

Love to know where you earn "FAR more" than $108 000 a year take home, with total outgoings of $200?