1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Portugal - salaries

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by treemonkey, Jun 20, 2011.

1. What would a good salary be in Portugal - and does it differ hugely depending on the area?
    Older posts suggest a net salary of 2200 euros - but found an expat website saying 1800 gross for Northern Portugal - is this the difference in cost of living between the two areas? And would 1800 be enough to live on in the North (fairly happily).
    Hoping to apply for jobs in the coming year so getting some research in early!

Thanks in advance.

2. Sorry, should have added that is a monthly amount (but I think Portugal pays 14x a month?) and the higher salary was in Lisbon. Higher cost of living am supposing?

3. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I have no specific info re Portugal, but make sure you're comparing like with like. In Spain the 14x also applies generally, but many/most British schools only pay 12x, suppsedly dividing the extra 2 payments equally through the year. It makes the monthly pay appear higher, of course, but it would be cynical to suggest that's why they do it....

4. With the whole bailout situation in Portugal, workings in that country have experienced a severe drop in wages over the last year..I'd highly doubt that those levels of pay still exist for teachers.

5. No drop in wages here! I work near Lisbon and receive 1850 Euros (as a classroom teacher)after I have paid tax, pension and insurances etc. New members of staff also get a housing allowance of about 700-800 Euros per month. A reasonable deal for Europe and a great place to live.
    I've loved it here.

6. Thanks Elsie, is Northern Portugal significantly cheaper?
    By my reckoning 1800 gross would be maybe 1200/1300 net, a fair bit less than Lisbon.

7. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I cannot give an accurate read on wages in Portugal but if I may tell a story:
    A few years ago a friend of mine left a school here in the Land of Smiles to take up a post in Portugal. He left at Christmas because he was so shocked at the low pay he was getting and the high cost of living.
    Elsie F. I send a lot more than you earn home every month. Look East!
    Toodle Pip.
    Perce

8. I worked in northern Portugal from 2008 to 2010 and earned ?1850 a month net (x12). It's a wonderful place to live and your salary will go a long way, though you won't save much. A word of warning; it rains a lot in Porto!

9. I don't know much about living in Northern Portugal as I've only been up to Porto once! Sorry I can't be much more use on that.
    We get 14 x salary though so the extra parts make a difference too.
    The single teachers here travel somewhere (even if just back to UK) every holiday, eat out a fair bit and enjoy themselves. More difficult (but still possible) for families but a good quality of life - I have really loved living here. PM me if I can help anymore.
    Percy - I have no desire to go East and am happy with life thanks - I don't need lots of money, happy with medium amounts, health and happiness :)
    Elsie

10. Thanks Elsie, have sent you a pm.[​IMG]

11. Thansks for this GY, sent you a pm too, wanted to ask info about specific schools.

12. percy topliss

If that is the case Elsie, you are a buffoon. I want to pay for my retirement as quickly as I can. I do this by earning and saving money. I use this money to buy property which will see me through to the end. You are looking at going to a country with a failing economy where the pay is low and in a currency about to disappear. I salute you, I thought the sort of outlook you have went out after Rorkes Drift.

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Rather a harsh term for Elsie's winning simplicity, I'd have thought, Perce? And can a female person be a 'buffoon'? Not sure.
    Long time since I saw the movie, but I rather remember everybody putting up a pretty good show down there. All but the mad vicar who abandoned the camp yelling "You're all going to die!" - the role Perce seems to have adopted.
    A little touch of moral-fibre-boosting adversity is good for the soul, Perce - without such moments what, pray, will you have to reminisce about in your long easeful retitrement, other than a life dedicated to Mammon and Mockery?
    Neither the Portuguese, nor the Euro, and certainly not the ex-pat teachers are going to die, from what I hear. Those of us who have lived through an economic meltdown Argentina-style can assure the world that the Greeks, Irish and Portuguese simply have no idea how to stage these things properly.
    I must enquire of my friends in Portugal whether the streets are jammed by reeking tuk-tuks propelled by chainsmoking starvelings - whether the bars are haunted by thousands of girls, boys and girlyboys from up-country selling themselves for a pittance or hoping to snare an ugly old halitoid farang, whether every hotel is surrounded by touts hoping to sell the produce of hideous sweatshops... If they report that this is so, then their economy has failed indeed.

14. percy topliss

Touche, old boy and as you say there are some (very) weird sights to be seen out here. Indeed I was at the airport recently and watched those that you mention being dropped off at the exit gate by their Patpong ladies with plenty of time for them to nip downstairs to arrivals and meet the next one!
    From what I read though I think that Portugal could be the next one to do and Eire or a Greece, time will tell.

max5775 likes this.
  15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

It will, old fruit, it will.
    And should the worst come to the worst, there's one thing the seafaring Irish, Greeks and Portuguese have had in common throughout their long and differently glorious histories.
    When the potatoes, the vine leaves or the salt cod start to run short in the motherland, these hardy people know how to get down to the docks and sail for more prosperous climes, always sending money home, sometimes staying on to become loyal citizens of Sydney or Cincinnati, sometimes returning to lord it over their stay-at-home relatives.
    Why, all three nationalities are well represented in the aforementioned Argentina, very much the land of milk, honey and gold-paved boulevards a century ago.
    (As the locals themselves say, el hombre descendió de los monos - los argentinos descendimos de los barcos, man descended from the apes, we Argies descended from boats)
    You will know that the Land of Smiles has outperformed the ailing Old World when needy immigrants begin to outnumber the sex tourists at the airport and in Patpong - when the tuk-tuk driver sputtering you from one assignment to another is called Pádraigh Ó Súilleabháin, Demetrios Staganopolous or João Caralho.