1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Portfolios of Evidence (QTS Standards) - A different approach?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MasterMaths, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I've just finished my GTP (secondary, maths) and it has been no secret that I've hated doing my folders. In the end, I pulled it together and was commended for their quality and clarity, but I absolutely hated the process of collecting and presenting the evidence. My abhorence for them is more about me (both my teaching style and me as a person in a general) than anything else, as I don't disagree with the QTS standards per se.
    I know that every provider has a different take on things, but the basic template seems to be fairly standard - All evidence is filed and presented according to the standard, ie Q1, followed by Q2, followed by Q3(a) etc.
    This, to me, is attempting to break a series of continuous and fluid actions, interactions and reactions into finite and discrete snapshots. I know that we can't just put a DVD of every single lesson in our folders and say "there you go - look how good I am!", and I know that we can also have cross references, but I think another option may be available to us.
    So this is thr crux of my post: I think a system whereby we present a few "project" or "case study" folders would work much better. We could then present a series of lessons, assessments, evaluations, observations, plans, presentations and any other types of evidence as a complete "story", highlighting where certain parts tally with different standards. I could envisage 3, 4 or 5 of these giving the assessor/mentor a much clearer picture of us as teachers and is a truer reflection of the interconnected nature of the profession. I'm sure loads of people have done things which they or other teachers have said "you could tick off half the standards with that project/trip/lesson/coursework/etc alone", and that's why I think this could be a good idea.
    I'd be interested in what other people think, especially those who post in these forums from the other side of the ITT curtain, as I think it's an idea which has legs - but I'm perhaps too close to the idea see it's downfalls.

2. What you are suggesting is almost what my university does.
    I do not have a folder of QTS standards, we just have to show we have made a certain amount of progression over a period of time.
    We do have forms to fill in detailing how we have met standards but these can be more general rather than specific documents too. We also can refer to one thing multiple times.
    It sounds great, however we are known as a very paperwork heavy University, in order to demonstrate you are at the certain standard at a certain time you have to use Agendas and lesson observations. These all need reflecting on and discussed at conferences.
    I do not know which system is 'better' I can see pros and cons of each.

3. Which uni do you go to??

4. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

My uni didn't require a portfolio of evidence either - we just needed a signature from a school mentor or uni tutor next to each standard to say we had met them.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

That is fine but what happens when Ofsted ask for the evidence?

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

What's it got to do with Ofsted?