1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Portfolio

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by newjobwanted, Jan 5, 2016.

1. newjobwanted

newjobwanted New commenter

Dear all,
    I have an interview for a job and I have been asked to provide a portfolio. This is something I have never prepared before it is for a primary class teacher position. Can I ask what sort of things I should have in it?
    - photographs of lessons/displays
    -lesson plans?
    - certificates/CV? Not sure this is relevant.
    It is to focus on high quality learning. Any other suggestions?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!

I'm sure that you can think of examples of things that you are proud of and which illustrate high quality learning.

For example, medium and short term planning. Examples of pupil work that correspond to that planning, showing what they achieved and how you marked it. Something creative done too perhaps, photos of classroom displays . . . Take care with photos of children, ensure that they correspond to any school policy on photography, and say so in the folder.

I expect that you can think of other things that would be relevant to learning - not a CV!

Here are some advice articles on interviews. I have included some which are not relevant to you for the benefit of anyone else reading this.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

We have a tradition on here that when someone gets a job, they start a brand new thread (don't put it on the end of this one) that they call Dear Theo - I got that job! This gives everyone a chance to congratulate you, and also gives them hope for themselves to see another poster being successful.

Make sure you always add your congratulations when you see one of those!

So I'll end by saying: I look forward to your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

3. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I'm no expert in Primary but I would imagine displays and activities, any colourful resources you have made or photos of things too big to bring such as making a robot out of old boxes. Outdoor learning resources you may have developed, stage sets and costumes from plays...that sort of thing.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Please don't bring "things" !

Best wishes

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Unless its relevant to learning and shows progress, I'm not sure why the candidate should bring "things" or photos of them.

6. splinters

I used the term 'thing' loosely. If the OP had been part of developing some outdoor resources (for example I made outdoor mud and sand kitchens for my local primary from unwanted pallets) then they would be 'things' too big to take but could look quite impressive in a portfolio....and the OP has been asked to bring a portfolio.
    My advice is to gather all you have then remove the stuff that is not relevant to the position or less impressive leaving all your best stuff. That way you have met the request and that it was the best you could do.

Thing: an object that one need not, cannot, or does not wish to give a specific name to.

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Yes, I am aware the OP was asked to bring a portfolio. My point was that in the portfolio, the candidate should only take what fits the requirements. This tends to veer towards display photos/marking/SoW.

8. splinters

The dilemma is that the school haven't specified what to bring but @newjobwanted , if its examples of high quality learning/project work or resources and displays etc. that have inspired high quality learning then you should be fine. As that's the only criteria they have given its up to you to provide, in the portfolio, whatever you have that you feel exemplifies this.

9. newjobwanted

newjobwanted New commenter

Thanks for all the advice I am putting the portfolio together now. I really regret not taking pictures/ work examples of things I did with my class previously. I will in future!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)