1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Portfolio - to take or not to take and what to include?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Blue_dime, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

Hi everyone

I have an interview next week for a HoD position. Do many people take a portfolio to an interview? If so what have you included?

Many thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, if it's for Art or DT, possibly for Drama.

No if for anything else.

If you come down to Jobseekers Forum and enquire there, I can give you advice on interviews . . . if you are interested. ;)

Best wishes

3. splinters

splinters Established commenter

For quite a few interviews I attended I took a portfolio of students DT work and some of my own project and artwork. No one in the interview wanted to see them...but, as long as you are not carting around boxes of stuff, its better to have it with you than not. Usually you will be asked to bring work if its a part of the interview process.
    I keep an online portfolio of work which (the web address) is provided in my covering letter. Thanks to advice from @TheoGriff I streamlined the site and it has been viewed prior to recent interviews and saved me carting around physical copies of stuff.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What Theo said. I can't imagine what you might put in one for another subject and our rule at my school was unless we'd asked to see specific items (we would invite art candidates, for example, to bring a portfolio in), we didn't look at such material because it was unfair to candidates who hadn't brought any.

5. splinters

Just a thought Middlemarch, if a candidate was able to clearly demonstrate their ability to get results/produce excellent project work, wouldnt that show initiative?
    In a creative subject like Art or DT I would be surprised if an offer of employment was made based on references and promises of what could be achieved without any visual evidence. When I interviewed staff for these subjects I never specified work to bring but favoured candidates who used their initiative to support their interview with evidence.
    Interesting....

6. Middlemarch

I gave art as an example, but we would also invite DT candidates to bring such materials in. Not in other subjects, however.

7. splinters

Fully agree Middlemarch I was just surprised when you said you wouldnt look if you had not specifically asked for examples of work. I would have credited the candidates initiative to do so unless I had told them that portfolios would not be viewed. Everyone would have the chance to use material to 'sell themselves so I would see it as a missed opportunity.

8. Middlemarch

To clarify: would definitely ask art and DT to bring portfolios, would not ask others - and would not look if anyone from other subjects did. Apart from fairness to other candidates (I don't see bringing stuff to an interview as "initiative" - because interviews are planned carefully and the panel will use criteria related to the person spec and each activity within the process to form a conclusion), it takes time to let all members of a panel look at a portfolio.

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I would quickly browse to see certificates, planning example etc. If the candidate wanted to refer to documents in their answers that sometimes helped. No time to do more.

10. splinters

Porffolios are often 'dropped off' at a designated room on arrival so that interested parties can look at them while candidates are taking a tour of the school etc.

11. moonirules

moonirules New commenter

I interviewed for a position last year and was asked to bring along a portfolio of what I could offer to the school. This was for a regular main scale teacher and part of the day was a sit down and discussion of the contents of my portfolio. This wasn't for any of the creative subjects that have been mentioned here. I got the job. It was the first time I've known someone to be asked for such a thing.

12. Middlemarch

Indeed - but you were asked. My point is that schools will ask if they want candidates to bring them.