1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Portfolio at job fair

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by annap28, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I'm new to posting here but have been reading the threads for a couple of weeks, some great advice here. I'm looking for some advice myself and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm attending the job fair in London at the weekend, and just wondered if people thought it necessary to take resources in terms of exemplar lesson plans, schemes of work etc? As an art teacher I already have some resources prepared in terms of student work, I'm not sure if I should add to these or if this would be overkill in what could be quite a short interview time!
    Again, many thanks for any help, and good luck to all those currently searching for jobs.

2. Hi everyone, I'm new to posting here but have been reading the threads for a couple of weeks, some great advice here. I'm looking for some advice myself and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm attending the job fair in London at the weekend, and just wondered if people thought it necessary to take resources in terms of exemplar lesson plans, schemes of work etc? As an art teacher I already have some resources prepared in terms of student work, I'm not sure if I should add to these or if this would be overkill in what could be quite a short interview time!
    Again, many thanks for any help, and good luck to all those currently searching for jobs.

3. Following my previous post, please help anyone! (SMT dude, if you read this you always give greta advice!) There is 1 school that I am desperately interested in and they want to see 'documented evidence of excellence in teaching'. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should take? As mentioned above I have prepared samples of students work, both in hard copy and digital format. All suggestions welcome, many thankss.

4. Have you had any appraisal or evaluation in your present positions? If so, perhaps you could give recruiters the results of that process. I suppose it's a bit late now but what about videoing a lesson? I take it that references are not specific enough for them.

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Have you got evidence of excellent exam results, or value-added data?
    Appraisals?
    Emails from parents thanking you for the great job you do?
    Student work?
    Schemes of work/lesson plans?
    I'd say it'd be better to have a bag of stuff handy, than to be gaping like a goldfish when you realise you should have brought it with you...

6. I love this stuff! It's the right brain, left brain sh7t. The right brainers, or is it the lefties 'have' to be anally organised and the righties...or is it the lefties, think on their feet.
    I'm the 'on the feet' sort and wouldn't take a portfollio, whereas the anals do. The 'feets' impress with slick answers and knowledge of their subect. And show their personality, which can't be demonstrated in a portfollio can it?
    Tough call, but if I went for a job and the 'powers' asked me to bring a portfollio I would have to tell them to p7ss off and employ an a7sehole.
    Hope this helps. [​IMG]

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Only just seen this, sorry.
    Last time I went interviewing, two candidates very hesitantly asked if we might be interested in some examples of student work stored digitally.
    My buddy and I jumped at the chance to abandon traditional interview mode with the candidate facing us across a table - we were soon formed a cosy semicirle of three, leaning over the victim's laptop.
    One of them even had a video clip of him leading a delightfully and productively fast-paced class discussion to introduce a new project, followed by a 'two weeks later' clip when said project had been completed. A Primary candidate offered a virtual tour of her classroom, relating the layout, furniture, toys and display to teaching and learning objectives.
    (How dull that sounds, thus written, and how interesting it was, 'live')
    You still have to talk the talk - just as your older students may produce beautiful work but nonetheless have to chatter their way through it with an examiner. But with all respect to phoneypharao, taking your interviewers for a walk through a portfolio (whether in traditional or digital form), could, if you do it with verve and conviction, be an ideal way of revealing your personality in a favourable light as well as showcasing the work of your students.
    Your subject surely lends itself par excellence to the 'portfolio' approach in setting out your stall at the fair. I strongly recommend that you 'get some stuff together' as you put it.
    Thank you for the kind words, and good luck!

8. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Video clips of you with your own classes sounds like a great idea. It has surely got to be more revealing than the often forced and stilted interview lesson when you have to show a rapport with students you've never met before.

9. Ha ha.
    But 'in the old days', there was little choice but to, not only spend time with those baboons, but actually have to say to one of them "the job is yours!"
    Oh, yes.
    I have to be careful with my tenses here but I have worked with people who, had they not been in situ, and no one else was there to do their job, things would <strike>have</strike> run smoother...

10. lunarita

Courtesy?
    May I politely request at this point of all members of SMT reading this page that if ever our paths cross in an interview situation and you decide within a minute that I am not the person for the job, that you do not show me the "courtesy" of wasting the next hour(s) of your and my time. I'd rather just leave, thank you.

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I find the moment that you suddenly realise that the brilliant candidate on paper cannot teach for love nor money is never one of the highlights.
    That and when you discover, during the interview, how carefully worded the headmasters recommendation was and how, in a certain light which is now being shone, just how differently it may be interpreted.

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

<font face="Calibri">Oh dear lunarita, I&rsquo;m sorry you got tight-lipped about this. I wrote, as often, in semi-light-hearted or tongue in cheek or forkin&rsquo;-idiot vein, and made it clear that the boot can sometimes be on the other foot.</font><font face="Calibri">But you are kidding too, of course. Just imagine the bleating noises to be heard on here if some demonic SMT villain told a candidate after 2 minutes that the interview was over and they had better get off back to Euston.</font>
    <font face="Calibri">Seems it was the word &lsquo;courtesy&rsquo; that really got up your nose. Apologies: an old-fashioned condescending notion. Someone out there can probably help with a more right-on term for those situations, not uncommon, I can even remember them from distant &lsquo;dating&rsquo; days, when you know the evening will turn out wrong but for whatever reason, OK let&rsquo;s drop &lsquo;courtesy&rsquo; and collapse into &lsquo;convention&rsquo;, you carry the thing through to its anti-climax.</font><font face="Calibri">&ldquo;Thanks for a great evening, I really enjoyed the couscous a l&rsquo;oeil de cheval flamb&eacute; and it was so imaginative of you to have a go at your mum&rsquo;s rhubarb crumble recipe for afters, and your holiday photos from Iceland are fantastic and I must read up on those 13th century Hungarian poets you were telling me about and..</font><font face="Calibri">&ldquo;You won&rsquo;t stay for coffee? Maybe this like liqueur thingy that I bought in Portugal last year? I&rsquo;ve got this amazing package that..</font><font face="Calibri">&ldquo;No, that&rsquo;s sounds so lovely but I&rsquo;m up early to write an essay tomorrow morning&rdquo;.</font><font face="Calibri">Courtesy, Convention, Condescension, Cowardice? Take your pick, but I humbly submit that it causes unnecessary pain to be told to Foxtrot-Oscar after one minute of a first, semi-blind date. So both sides tend to put up with one another for the requisite time.</font>

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Daaah!,
    What a mess, above. Made the mistake of copying straight from the latest version of MSWord and posting from the Opera browser.
    Here I am back on IE
    This web site, so alert to potential abuse and so technologically savvy that it can crash your computer and kidnap your loved ones while you are in the very act of mentioning other recruitment agencies or typing the word 'Philippines', cannot cope with non-vanilla software.

14. SMTdude,
    Oh, shut up, you over-wordy-w4nker (thanks for the happy bithday wishes, btw)
    Lunitirartaritar - Do you presume yourself to be so cr5p that they would think ill of you within the allotted 60 seconds? This is international schools, my dear...you interview THEM!

15. lunarita

Indeed, and it works both ways. If you're lucky enough to be interviewed on site you get to see whether their understanding of well equipped, modern and spacious really matches yours.
    It's harder when they interview in a London hotel of course, then all you have to go on is whether the interviewer looks a shifty type or whether s/he los like a fair and trustworthy professional.
    I'd like to think that, should I ever decide in 60 seconds that it really wasn't for me, then I'd have the courtesy to tell them that I'd like to withdraw my application at that point.
    And to SMTdude, my earlier post really didn't merit such a serious response, but it's nice that you had the courtesy to reply in such detail.

16. Hello, thanks very much for the suggestions. I'm nervously putting the final touches to what I hope will be enough to show how much I want the job and that I can do it well! Some posts have made me smile a lot too, much needed in a stressful situation right now so thanks again.