1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

portfolio advice for pgce art and design

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by readnats, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Hi, wonder if anyone can help? I would like to apply for an Art pgce (secondary level) next september but it has been 9 years since I finished my Art degree and I have only done Art for fun since. I would like to create the best portfolio I can, if anybody has any wisdom they can share I would be grateful or advice on what to put in. Thanks :)

2. Hi!
    I'm due to start my PGCE in Art and Design this September and I graduated in 2008 and did pretty much naff all art work in between. I worried too but my Uni asked for degree work and anything from the last year. You can always set yourself the challenge of producing some new art work and get back into the flow of things. I supplemented my portfolio with some more recent drawings and packaging design I did for a jewellery company - and it did the trick.

But, one thing I did notice - when I turned up for my interview lots of people showed their work on flashy power point presentations and others had literally folder upon folder of work. I had a tiny A4 presentation folder with some photos, samples and drawings. I was worried!

BUT, my provider asked for the portfolio to be succinct - so be strict on what you put in!
    If you can show some use of ICT (mine was scanning and printing work to be reworked) - so long as you include this in your 'discussion' or presentation you'll be okay.

Above all - be prepared in advance. I didn't really start putting my portfolio together until I got the interview letter through - and then found out half my work was in a different house....

Hope that helps!
    x

3. Hi thanks litterhodes, sounds like good advice. I had better start setting myself some projects and take a look at my old degree work. Just wondering, what uni are you going to? x

4. Start at Middlesex in a few weeks :) good luck! X