1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pork Pies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, Aug 26, 2019.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

It looks like no-one as yet has come up with the obvious witticism regarding:

Melton Mowbray pork pie makers and No 10 clash over Johnson claim
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49470831

so I'll take the opportunity to get in there first.

Johnson telling pork pies... Who'd have thought?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Where are the beef producers?

Boris talks a load of bull.

EmanuelShadrack and primarycat like this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It gets weirder when you read the article.

In response to Mr O'Callaghan, No 10 said the PM was correct when he said that Melton Mowbray pork pies are exported to Thailand and Iceland.

(Matthew O'Callaghan - who chairs the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association)

However, when contacted by the BBC, Walker & Son - which says it makes and bakes 80% of all of the UK's Melton Mowbray pork pies - said it no longer exports pork pies.

Maybe he's picked up some tips from Trump. When called out for lying and getting your facts wrong which is backed up by the people you are telling lies about, just repeat the lie anyway.

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

He could use another Trump tactic and deny he'd ever said it.

5. Mangleworzle

Tomorrow is another day.

blue451 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So we want to send them pork pies?

This is some sort of revenge for the chlorine chicken yes?

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

8. florian gassmann

Could you explain what the lie is, please? Walker have actually advertised the fact that they have sent small shipments of their Melton Mowbray pies to Thailand and Iceland (paragraph 2 below):

upload_2019-8-26_15-33-43.png

9. Mangleworzle

Boris Johnson had said pork pies are exported to Thailand and Iceland, but cannot be to the US due to red tape.

ARE exported to.
    WERE exported to - in tiny amounts from 2014 to 2016, and giving the impression there is some export potential that matters,

Anything else you're having difficulty with? Actually, don't answer that I don't have the time.

Doitforfree and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The advert was before TTIP since they were hoping TTIP would help exports to the USA.

11. florian gassmann

No he didn't. According to most reports, he said they were sold in those countries. One or two journalists said "available in". He never used the word 'exported'.

The manufacturer, in the article I reproduced, confirmed that batches have indeed been sent to Thailand and Iceland. The unfortunate spokesman for the Melton Mowbray Pie Association was clearly unaware of this.

Funny you don't have time after it is pointed out that you have fallen into an elephant trap. ;)
    (Not that you are the only one - a number of journalists, keener to think they have found an error than to carry out proper research - have clearly made the same mistake.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  12. EmanuelShadrack

13. Mangleworzle

Yeh, that's right :rolleyes:

Oh yes he did:

Offering an example of an American trade restriction, Mr Johnson said: "Melton Mowbray pork pies, which are sold in Thailand and in Iceland, are currently unable to enter the US market because of, I don't know, some sort of food and drug administration restriction."

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  14. EmanuelShadrack

Florian's replies just seem to echo the "official government response" these days. So Downing Street says such-and-such, to try and wriggle out of something, and I think "Oh yes, Florian will be repeating that shortly".

Sprinkle a bit of "whoever has the last word must be right" in there too, just for good measure.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

That seem totally correct. Neither Thailand nor Iceland has any prohibition on selling this item. The USA does.

Florian went to the trouble of finding and reproducing the piece from Walker in which they advertised the fact that the had sent small shipments of their pies to Iceland and Thailand. That's more than the government bothered to do, is it not?

16. Mangleworzle

ARE - WERE

It's about the present and past tenses, it makes quite a difference you know. We are not currently exporting pork pies (do I really have to make the effort to point this out?), the pork pie makers who are not currently pork pie exporters say so, they are the people who would know. They also indicate that the potential for pork pie exports is minimal.

It reminds me of the great export potential for our wonderful range or artisanal jams, who needs the EU?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  17. Mangleworzle

:D

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, I've just had some MM pork pie. Very nice.

Mangleworzle and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

I'm glad we've finally arrived at the crux of the issue.

Dunteachin likes this.
  20. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

"90% of Melton Mowbray pies over 200 years old"

No wonder Thailand and Iceland didn't want any more!

florian gassmann likes this.