1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pork Fillet recipe suggestions please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by jo_south_yorks, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    I have a pork fillet for tea tonight but not really sure what to do with it apart from cutting it into slices and frying in a pan and serving with mash.
    Other more inspiring suggestions welcomed! :)

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You could egg and breadcrumb the outside using sage and onion stuffing instead of breadcrumbs. Cut thin slices and beat out for escalopes, make a pork wellington from it. Cut thin slices and thread in wave form on skewers, roast the whole thing with traditional accompaniments.
    Cook in slices and serve with mashed apple and potato, cook slices in cider, rambling now!!

3. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I usually slather the fillet in chilli jam, then wrap in bacon and roast for 45 mins or so.

Or the other day, I had pork fillet, with hoisin sauce, spring onion mash and stir fried pak choi/cabbage. Gorgeous. And even better as it was in a gastro pub, I didn't have to wash up!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My favourite way is to cut them into medallions, fry them in a little oil then remove them from the pan and cook a chopped onion and a chopped apple until softened, add some cider and cook off the alcohol, then add in a dollop of creme fraiche or similar and nestle the pork pieces back in.

5. Thanks for the suggestions! It appears apple and cider isa favourite (found quite a few of those recipes when I did a quick seach earlier ... admitadly that was after I posted though.)
    What kind of apple is best?

Also... the fillet I'v egot is probably going to be too much for just me and my flatmate, so at what point can I freeze it? when it is raw, or when it is all cooked?
    I knew I could rely on you lot for ideas :)

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Apple and cider is a great idea!....and I would add a very generous blob of grainy mustard.
    Coxes are good with pork. They have that nice tartness,
    If you are sure that the fillet hasn't been frozen before then you can freeze some of it raw. If you are in <u>any</u> doubt then cook a large batch of apple and cider pork and freeze in individual portions.

7. Bash the fillet till it's flat. Fry in a little butter and season. Add dry vermouth & allow the liquid to evaporate. Add cream & dried taragon. Delicious and looks rather posh!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

That sounds nice.
    Last week I bought a kilo of French loin steaks from tesco for a fiver. We had pork three nights in a row: with sour cream and [lots of] paprika, as schnitzels, and Chinese-style as twice-cooked pork.

Pork with cider and cream is a wonderful standby. Add finely-chopped, softened onions and, towards the end of the cooking time, a few sliced mushrooms. Use creme fraiche rather than fresh cream - it doesn't curdle.
    A little ground coriander goes beautifully with pork. Add it during the browning time.