1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Popular culture in Literacy teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkxstarsx3, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hello, My name is Hayley.
    For my dissertation I am looking into whether popular culture helps to teach literacy? or if it is useful to use popular culture.
    I was trying to look in to the curriculum but have not found an answer.... I wondered how much flexability do primary school teachers have to use texts that they want. For example if you wanted to use 'The simpsons' could you?
    Thankyou

2. Hello, My name is Hayley.
    For my dissertation I am looking into whether popular culture helps to teach literacy? or if it is useful to use popular culture.
    I was trying to look in to the curriculum but have not found an answer.... I wondered how much flexability do primary school teachers have to use texts that they want. For example if you wanted to use 'The simpsons' could you?
    Thankyou

3. The simple answer is yes. If it fits in. For example in Year 5 we cover a literacy unit called Stories by significant authors. You can fit in any author that is deemed significant - phillip pullman, jk Rowling etc
    There is a unit called film narrative in year 5. For this unit any film could be used.
    I have used a 'Simpsons' episode to help teach 'The Raven' by Edgar Allen Poe - one of the episodes follows the poem.