1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Popular authors/novels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Danielle1988, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hi there, a year 5/6/ teacher here looking at an author to study whilst comparing two of his/her texts.
    Anyone had any success with this unit??? Ideas greatly appreciated :) I had a thought of Michael Morpurgo but not sure whether that is a transition text :s

2. Hi there, a year 5/6/ teacher here looking at an author to study whilst comparing two of his/her texts.
    Anyone had any success with this unit??? Ideas greatly appreciated :) I had a thought of Michael Morpurgo but not sure whether that is a transition text :s

3. I have to teach the same unit after Christmas. Here were some initial ideas I thought of or stumbled across online.

Roald Dahl (enormous croc, twits etc)-possibly been done to death and children may be overly familiar with texts. However, there are very obvious themes. Do you want to stick with what you know?

Louis Sachar-Holes, There's a Boy in the Girls Toilet and Dogs cannot tell jokes. If you read synopsis for each I think these would get the boys on side and provide many themes to discuss but quite lengthy texts.

Michael Foreman-War Boy, War Game would fit brilliantly with WW2 topic.

Anne Fine-The Diary Of A Killer Cat, Bills New Frock, How To Write Really Badly, The Worst Child I Ever Had, Eating Things On Sticks ( Some of these are recent releases and I think would appeal to most children as there is alot of humour).

Michael Morpurgo- Why The Whales Came, The Butterfly Lion, Cool, The Amazing Story Of Adolphus Tips, The Wreck Of The Zanzibar.

Anthony Browne-very basic texts and possibly too young. Great for LA but would not extend HA.

Hope that was of some help.
    Merry Christmas
    Sarah