1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poppies with pride

Discussion in 'Personal' started by teachingking123, Nov 7, 2015.

1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Remember. Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday. So make sure you use your poppy and use it with pride. Remember those who made life better for us.

2. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

Sure thing.

3. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

Absolutely. I have my poppy. I will be wearing it up until Wednesday when we have a school Remembrance Service.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm disappointed that my lovely diamante brooch poppies haven't arrived! I ordered them on Amazon and, despite it being a UK seller, it would appear they're coming from Istanbul! You get wot you pays for...
    So, I'll be sporting my paper one and have my Tower of London one on display.
    MrDt had been wearing a poppy badge - until someone pointed out it was inscribed with 2013. :oops:

5. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I don't like this pressure on people to be publically seen to wear a poppy. Whether or not I give to a particular charity is entirely my business.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I sometimes wish there was an 'anti-poppy'... what I mean is why should it be only one day when we remember what previous generations did for us?

Anyway, so tomorrow the politicians will pay lip service to the sacrifice of previous generations while drumming up support for us bombing another country here or there. I think they miss the point.

midnight_angel and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What does one USE it for? You make it sound as if I should be poking someone's eye out, or unblocking the sink, with the stalk.

8. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

I'm not a UK citizen but I'm interested in why you think 800,000 British and Commonwealth deaths in World War 1 made life better for UK citizens? WW1 was not a battle against oppression or fascism but about oppresive Empires protecting their own exploitive interests. Are you surprised that others celebrate those who fought and died fighting against the oppression of the British Empire in Ireland, Malaysia, Kenya, India, Israel, etc

Wasn't it the activity of WW1 veterans in the subsequent peace time who saw the great social and racial inequalities of your Empire at home and abroad and challenged it who really made life better for your citizens?

'The Dead remembered, the living forgotten' was apparently a popular war veterans slogan in the 1920s

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I was wondering that too.

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I always used to put my poppy into one of the wreaths after the ceremony, a wreath which reflected remembrance of one of the units where my father or grandfather fought.
    I have no feelings either way if folks wear a poppy. My dad fought so that folks would have choices. People who criticise non poppy wearers should go back and read their history books. Barbara Windsor made herself look foolish this week.

teachingking123 likes this.
  11. teachingking123

Really? I mean use it as a symbol of respect.

12. teachingking123

I always put mine into the wreaths. Sadly it gets battered by the rain.

13. Memphismojo

Where is this pressure?

teachingking123 likes this.
  14. teachingking123

There is none.

15. Memphismojo

I've never seen any. Or heard of anyone who has.

16. Memphismojo

17. Memphismojo

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I was at Old Trafford today (my pal who is a season ticket holder takes me when her husband can't go) and there was a silence observed before the match. 75000 people stood in absolute silence - it was excellent.

19. Memphismojo

Very impressive.

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's to take one's breath away!

Dragonlady30 likes this.