1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pop star to opera star

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, May 29, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i am so pleased they are abaou tto launch this again...it was a fantastic show last year and sort of got lost amid all the cr ap soap shows and so called entertainment shows.
    The pop stars last year turned out to have fantasitc voices and its shame the show got stuffed in to a funny time slot!

2. oldsomeman

i am so pleased they are abaou tto launch this again...it was a fantastic show last year and sort of got lost amid all the cr ap soap shows and so called entertainment shows.
    The pop stars last year turned out to have fantasitc voices and its shame the show got stuffed in to a funny time slot!

3. Excellent

And so funny that Joe McElderry i son it ... I always preferred Ollie Muirs

I believe at this point that I will be voting for Midge Ure

As a Slik fan, of course

4. oldsomeman

who?. i believe im sorely uneducated but not knowing such names.....or maybe m lucky!
    im still in the 60's!

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It was a great show last time, and I can't wait for the next run, despite the somewhat annoying presence of MYSELF Mylene.

6. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

*Sigh* here I go again doing a "phoenix" please forgive me, I'm starting at the bottom of the page so the threads will still be in order, and there's a good reason for it.xx

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I enjoyed it last year, but only because I'm a big fan of Darius- might be worth watching this year for Andy bell.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Cheryl Baker is still on top as far as I'm concerned. For me, what's interesting about the programme is finding out how people who are constrained by their lack of formal training/experience or even prejudices might be inherently musical enough and blessed with a good enough natural voice to surprise us.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Who went out last night? Missed it.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Jocelyn, but she was a hoot. You can watch online - though probably not at work!

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Oh...I thought she'd be brilliant! I'm not at work but internet speed is so slow here it'sa wrist-slitting experience to try and watch something online!
    Thanks Inky [​IMG]

12. oldsomeman

The men where flat in their voices at times.should have been the men the got rid off!

13. I like it. The men never seem to sound as good as the women, and I thought whatsername Nolan should have won last time! Joe is the best man I've heard so far. That Pussycat Doll was rubbish.
    I saw an article saying that it had done nothing to widen participation in opera. Well I've dug out loads of stuff I haven't listened to for ages! The kids at school haven't even given it a chance despite my telling them today that Just One Cornetto and the Qashqai ad were from operas! Opera, innit. Sh1t.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm just happy if they manage to make a few nice noises. The bald man [Erasure?] hit some good low notes and Joe a few sweet and purry ones. On present showing, it's Cheryl for me. Her voice is pretty and she looks like she reallyloves to sing. Joe is ever so careful and correct but where's the oomph?
    There was a very snotty article in the Telegraph but that's to be expected.

15. oldsomeman

totally agree she shopulfd have won it......but it is public vote and he had more supporters
    So far im not impressed with most but last night neither of the men where good.and that american woman pop idol is really irritationg..........why ddid they bring that pop star from america for.sher had nothing to do with opera,besides which her song was rubbish to me.my opinion.
    the guitarist was fantastic.and then they had another singer with him who was basically rubbish! She didnt even fit to what he was playing!.I could have happily listened to him playing instead of her murdering a song!

16. Sharleen Spiteri from Texas, you old fart! 90s group, very good at what they do. Which isn't opera!

17. oldsomeman

never mine are new and uptoday [​IMG]
    istil think its rubbish!

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Did anyone see the semi-finals?
    I thought they all did really well. It's been so interesting to watch their efforts and hear their progress. It was a shame that Claire had to go, just at the moment she was beginning to show her potential, but [Joe being a given] I thought Cheryl's performance was beautiful. She can convey emotion. Joe is only 20, and probably has yet to experience the sort of emotions that make opera so wonderful. Cheryl, at 57, is old for Butterfly but can put across the heart-rending tragedy of the role. Her performance was better than her pretty voice. It brought a tear to my eye.
    I hope Joe wins. He has his future before him, whereas Cheryl's voice hasn't got long to go.

19. oldsomeman

Personally i think the correct 2 won...although it might have been nice to have 3 in the final!.the other fella was not much good..joe has a wonderful voice.