1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Pop' songs in Christmas concerts

Discussion in 'Music' started by katielouisesm, Sep 23, 2019.

1. katielouisesm

katielouisesm New commenter

I work at a community primary school and have just been put in charge of music. I have to arrange songs for both ks1 and ks2 Xmas performances, no 'shows' as such, just singing. In the past the music lead has always bought cds from out of the ark music etc and allocated songs from these (these are songs specifically written by the company so parents don't know them). I'd like to mix it up and have songs parents actually know. Carols are a no no as were not religious so my next best thinking was popular Xmas songs. Can anyone help me with the mine field of licensing on these though?! I've found lots of you tube karaoke versions that we can sing to but unaware of licensing laws even though I've read and read to try and get my mind around it!

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Pop songs are rarely suitable for children. Backing tracks are often too low, and they're not designed for group singing. There is masses of non-religious, if you like, music available that is suitable and is good to sing.

I'm not suggesting you break the law, but few concerts that are put on actually follow the law. Your venue might have a prs (or whatever they call themselves now) licence, but you still need the copyright owner's permission, which might come through prs. But if, for example, you sang one of my songs, that would not be covered, and technically you would have to contact me to ask my permission and to ask if you needed to pay. No one does that.

The Waldorf school site has masses of sheet music. If you can get a pianist, then do. Singing songs to backing tracks is a very poor second.

Just because the school's not religious doesn't mean you can't sing carols. Do you also not tell the children anything about the origin of Christmas? I hope you find something suitable, and I wouldn't worry about licences. You'd be just about the only person in the country to do so.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There are, in fact, a lot of Christmas songs that are not at all religious (Jingle Bells, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, Let is Snow, Winter Wonderland, Deck the Hall with Boughs of Holly, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The 12 Days of Christmas, and so on).

4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Look at Sing Up - there's loads of great music on there although I think you need to subscribe.

Why no carols? I don't think you (or the school) has to be religious to sing some carols - most adults will remember these from their childhood. I am talking of the Christian faith.