1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pop music in Early Years?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by princessdani22, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    Was just wondering what other people thought.. my Reception children love listening and dancing to music; I have a collection of world music that they enjoy, and they always go on cbeebies and put on music and sing along to their favourite tv shows but I was just wondering if anyone plays pop music in their class for the children to listen to?

A lot of my children sit there singing songs that are in the charts at the moment, just wondered if it was deemed 'okay' to play pop music or whether it doesn't have a place in the early years setting?

2. Hi Guys,
    Was just wondering what other people thought.. my Reception children love listening and dancing to music; I have a collection of world music that they enjoy, and they always go on cbeebies and put on music and sing along to their favourite tv shows but I was just wondering if anyone plays pop music in their class for the children to listen to?

A lot of my children sit there singing songs that are in the charts at the moment, just wondered if it was deemed 'okay' to play pop music or whether it doesn't have a place in the early years setting?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

"Censor" the lyrics but otherwise any music is good. (I saythat after a child brought a CD in and half way through my NN had to jump on the off switch [​IMG]

4. My class seem to love Mamma Mia, so a child brought in the soundtrack last week and it seems to have been on none stop since!

5. Yes mine love it!
    You have to very carefully screen the tracks first for suggestive lyrics.
    I use some of these...
    Girls Aloud, Saturdays, SOS by Rihanna, Cheryl Cole, some Taio Cruz, a few Alexandra Burke tracks etc.

6. Thanks for the replies!!

Think I will burn a quick CD now then and see how the kids react tomorrow! :)

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I prefer to give children the opportunity to hear music they don't hear at home.

8. In a nostalgic moment I decided to have A Taste Of Honey by Herb Alpert as our tidy up music....absolutely useless as it is the most bottom wiggling, hand jiving tune and my nursery kids love it. Pop- but not as you know it!

9. netmum

netmum New commenter

For my daughter that would be pop music then.

I don't see anything wrong in using all kinds of music including pop as long as the lyrics are appropriate.

10. We have a dance area with different types of music in there - classical, opera, world music, jazz etc. It was used fairly well by the girls, but the boys were not so interested. I noticed that they were singing a lot of chart stuff just whilst they were busy with other things, and one of them brought a JLS poster in from a show they had visited. So I decided to put some pop music in there (again with careful attention to lyrics before hand) and they boys have been doing some great dancing in there - it's really helping to hit some of the creative development points.