1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pop music help!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by dominant_tonic, Dec 18, 2008.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Hi all.

Bizarre question ... how do I 'get into' pop music? I don't kno where to start.

JUst finished first term of placement (wahey, survived![​IMG], and need to start listening to contemporary stuff I can use in the classroom.

Don't currently have an ipod, but have a dvr which i am using as mobile library. Do i buy an ipod in january sales, and how do i know what to download? Also, where can i download free stuff - do not own any pop cds, so will cost me a fortune if i have to buy all cds etc.

Any advice gratefully received!!

Thank you![​IMG]

2. Calverlan

Calverlan New commenter

Try to rip off all the music from the pupils' ipods.

They will have all what you need.

If you only then need to "hear" pieces for yourself, use youtube. Most pieces you want are out there...

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Really good advice..... not

Please don't even think about 'ripping off your pupil's ipods'.

Remember that you will need to teach about copyright....

enough said!

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

All teachers may find the following web link useful:
    www.soundrights.org.uk

5. Thank you MrKeys.

What kind of an example would you be setting by illegally copying music!

It is a poor life lesson to teach our students that if you don't feel you want to pay for something, then just take it anyway.

6. GRR! I just wrote out a massive message, but it got deleted :(
    Anyways, heres some tips from another non-fan of modern pop music...
    1. log on to youtube and type in people from the charts (download and cd), use the views and ratings to find tracks by pop musicians to find the 'good' ones that are most popular.
    2. type in such artists' albums on amazon.com - use the "people who bought this also bought this..." bar below the details to find similar stuff. also use last.fm to read up on what people listen to, and find these tracks online or buy them.
    3. a good investment is a good old mix cd, cheesey as some of them can be, they are often full of the most popular tunes, and as much as i hate to encourage sales of the NOw thats what i call music... series, their cds have a mix of pop, dance and rnb type stuff, all the popular bits that you'll no doubt hear in class :)
    4. talk to your students on placement! ask them a few questions about how they find new music, labels, artists, style, sound etc. ask them maybe to bring in their favourite song and tell the class why they like it so. create space for discussion on musical taste, kids are massivley protective over their musical interests, get them to discuss why they are into certain things. also a good one would be asking them where they get music from - downloads, cds, etc. then lead into discussion about download/artist rights.
    5. listen to pop radio, as much as its evil and full of small talk and adverts if you listen for say 2 hours a week while working youll soon build up a database of tunes that are massivley popular. the songs are on a tight rotation (which is why i dont bother with radio TBH) so youll hear the good ones over and over (and over) again.
    good luck, hope this made snese. all grammar and spelling went out of the window when i typed it for the second time :(

7. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Here's a cheap place to download music legally:

http://www.gomusic.ru/default.aspx

gomusic is based in Russia where the copyright laws are different. They pay a flat fee to the record companies for their music rather than paying for each artist. As you're buying your product (mp3 file) in Russia (where the servers are based) then your product is covered by the Russian laws. Some of the UK and US downloading sites have tried to take gomusic to court but the cases have been thrown out. Don't let people tell you it's not legal because it is whether they like it or not.

Tracks on gomusic cost around 10p as opposed to the more expensive UK sites. Also they actually sell you an unencripted MP3 file (itunes put prm on their files so you have to use Apple software).

Enjoy.

8. www.spotify.co.uk !! It's free and legal!

9. p.s. if you need resources about teaching music copyright, check out www.pop4schools.com where you will find this and loads more besides.

10. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Listen to the radio, watch MTV (or have it on in the background), do some research into different pop music styles and how they have evolved (and the most important artists from each style)...

11. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I wonder if people realise they're replying to an OP from 2008.