1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pop music for GCSE performance

Discussion in 'Music' started by saxo07, May 9, 2011.

1. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

I wouldn't have thought so. I would look at the characteristics of the piece that make it of that standard and apply those to the pieces that your students want to sing. I do Edexcel and it lists things to look out for in pieces that make them 'easier', 'standard' and 'more difficult' (wide range, advanced techniques, tricky rhythms etc). It is also about getting the balance right, a student doing a piece that is difficult enough to show technique, but not so difficult that they cannot interpret it accurately and communicate it effectively. You could always post on here what pieces they are thinking of?

2. There are only 3 marks awarded for level of difficulty. Sometimes students will gain more marks by playing a simple grade 3 piece well, than a more difficult grade 5 piece less fluently. Kids often feel they have to learn something new for a coursework submission, and that's rarely a good thing to do.

3. Thanks, a few have mentioned wanting to do Use Somebody by Kings of Leon as their group performance so will look into that in more detail. Will be discussing solo pieces today and tomorrow hopefully!

4. gliss

gliss New commenter

thanx for this strand, I never thought of looking at the LCM syllabus, this has been a great help - thank you