1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poorly baby

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Ange_mmm, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hopefully someone can put my mind at rest as I'm quite worried. It will be easier to explain the sequence of whats happened I think. Baby is 7 months old and fully weaned, 3 meals a day eating everything.
    Sunday - Baby sick after breakfast and lunch [the whole meal] took him off solids. Kept down breast milk. Baby ok in himself.
    Monday - Baby has diarrhea, kept off solids all day until tea time. Had a small meal kept down, seemed ok in himself.
    Tuesday - Baby fine all day. Didn't seem that interested in food but kept down what ate.
    Wednesday - Starts vomiting again only after solids, diarrhea. Bit of a temp, seemed poorly. I also came down with sickness and diarrhea that evening.
    Thursday - Kept off solids, poorly, no wet nappies. Kept down milk. Went to hospital in evening as no wet nappy for 24 hours. Said he was ok, prescribes doiralyte and medinol.
    Friday - Kept off solids until tea time, had a small bowl of porridge which he kept down. Picked up in the evening. No sickness or diarrhea.
    Today - Back to old self, cheerful. Back on solids. Didn't eat much lunch. Diarrhea again. Sick after tea, seems ok though.
    As you can see everytime we start back on solids he starts up again. Is it normal for a tummy bug to last a week? Mine was a 24 hour thing. When he is sick he brings up the whole meal and it's a lot! I'm taking him to the doctor on Monday morning but need some peace of mind.
    Has anyone elses LO had this?

2. Hopefully someone can put my mind at rest as I'm quite worried. It will be easier to explain the sequence of whats happened I think. Baby is 7 months old and fully weaned, 3 meals a day eating everything.
    Sunday - Baby sick after breakfast and lunch [the whole meal] took him off solids. Kept down breast milk. Baby ok in himself.
    Monday - Baby has diarrhea, kept off solids all day until tea time. Had a small meal kept down, seemed ok in himself.
    Tuesday - Baby fine all day. Didn't seem that interested in food but kept down what ate.
    Wednesday - Starts vomiting again only after solids, diarrhea. Bit of a temp, seemed poorly. I also came down with sickness and diarrhea that evening.
    Thursday - Kept off solids, poorly, no wet nappies. Kept down milk. Went to hospital in evening as no wet nappy for 24 hours. Said he was ok, prescribes doiralyte and medinol.
    Friday - Kept off solids until tea time, had a small bowl of porridge which he kept down. Picked up in the evening. No sickness or diarrhea.
    Today - Back to old self, cheerful. Back on solids. Didn't eat much lunch. Diarrhea again. Sick after tea, seems ok though.
    As you can see everytime we start back on solids he starts up again. Is it normal for a tummy bug to last a week? Mine was a 24 hour thing. When he is sick he brings up the whole meal and it's a lot! I'm taking him to the doctor on Monday morning but need some peace of mind.
    Has anyone elses LO had this?

3. I dont think Id wait until Monday, if you are that worried there will be an emergency doctor that you can contact for advice.
    When mine were tiny I was advised to give cooled boiled lemonade and to slowly reintrodce solids and milk after a clear 24 hrs of symptoms having subsided. However, I would not want to advise you to do this without medical advice.
    Hope baby is better soon.

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Hi there. I hope yourbaby is feeling better soon. 7 months is very young to be fully weaned, given that current recommendatins are not to start until 6 months. It ispossible that your babay isnt yet quite ready for 3 meals a day, and you need to cut back on one, or reduce the variety for a while. Babies can take a while to get used to several different foods in a short space of time.
    Or its possible there is one food item that is making this happen..have yu tried a food diary so you can look for any patterns between the food and the reaction?
    Otherwise it could be a bug, but usually they would imrpove in a few days. Are you making sure he is getting plenty of fluids to make up for what he is losing through vomit and runs?

5. It's certainly a bug. I have had it too and I haven't given him anything he hasn't been given a number of times. He has been on 3 meals for a month and was weaned at 4.5 months on a health visitors reccomendation. He is having lots of water and I have given him dioralyte after every 'episode'. He is also having breastfeeds every 2 hours.
    I contacted the health visitor today and she said it can take up to 3 weeks for a nasty bug to clear up in a baby and to keep him off solids apart from tiny amounts of very bland things which we have done today and touch wood he seems a lot better. No sick and a solid poo [sorry if tmi but I was very excited!]