1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poorly ankle- cooking advice!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by catherinaaa, May 11, 2011.

1. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Am laid up with torn ankle ligaments and have my foot in a brace and have to get about on crutches. I'm on my own over the weekend and the thought of existing on takeaway food leaves me cold. Any ideas for dishes where I don't need to do a lot in way of prep and can be made from store cupboard basics?! Standing up and sitting down is tricky and painful although once sat down I can chop/prepare etc. Standing over a stove is a no however and think getting things out of the oven will be difficult. I also can't get to the shop easily as I live on the 4th floor with no lift and the nearest supermarket is a stop oin the train away from where I live.
    I'm thinking lots of sandwiches.....!

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

When I slipped a disk, I got my groceries delivered (to the kitchen and put up on the table where I could reach them), and kept a stool in the kitchen for sitting preparing food. I did as much as possible that could be cooked together, either all in the oven at once (eg roast chicken, baked potatoes, roast veg) or in a big pot eg sausage and lentil casserole, or various foods steaming in layers eg salmon and veg with rice. I had to get my husband to lift pots and pans out for me.
    In retrospect, I have to wonder why I didn't put my foot down and insist he flippin' learned to cook!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

If you're cooking just for yourself, try cooking all in one dishes.
    A nice one I do is potato, onion, lemon, thyme sprigs and chicken in a dish, in the oven for 1 hour. You can do the same with chops, varying the herbs and omitting the lemon, maybe add parsnip, carrot, butternut squash or sausages.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

To be honest Birds Eye Roast dinners aren't that bad and you could microwave one for one of your meals.It's at times like this that they prove a real convenience food.

5. I have been in your position on more than one occasion in the past catherine - I have carp ankles - and to be honest found standing and cooking well nigh impossible (and extemely painful). If you really can't bear the thought of takeaways, which would be my preferred option, then lapin's suggestion is a good one - or whichever ready meal you prefer.
    My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

6. catherinaaa

I would prob actually love a Bird's Eye roast! Hehe, but am in Germany and they don't really have ready meals here. Partner away on a stag do at weekend so very much on own. I suspect will be takeaway 1 eve and will see if he can get me sth for a one-pot type meal. The chicken dish sounds pretty good, providing I can lift the pot etc... wondering if it would be easier to perch on a stool by the hob and do a stirfry or something quick'n'easy?
    Thanks for your thoughts guys, keep 'em coming!

7. If you can sit at the table and do a little prep (as in julienne/matchstick.finely slice some veg)....then how about chicken/fish in a bag?
    Use foil or greaseproof paper. Get a largish piece, place your piece of fish or chicken on it, add your veggies. Add a slosh of liquid - wine or cider is nice. Fold over the edges and crimp the sides to seal your 'bag'. Then pop into the oven until cooked....It's much lighter to lift than a pot!

8. catherinaaa

Oooh sounds pretty yummy Beth. Maybe will get boyf to get me some nice fish if there's any on offer. Just feel so useless- he has been cooking all week plus of course shopping, cleaning, looking after me and he is mega-busy at work and I'm feeling so guilty he has to do everything. I can't even manage showering on my own so feelng quite low.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You need to phone your local pub and get chicken and chips in a basket delivered! I don't know if they still do it, but we lived near Munchengladbach for a year and I used to enjoy the hahnchen at the local pub.

10. catherinaaa

Hehe not sure if my local does that but if all else fails there is a home delivery take away site that has loads of diff restaurants on it that have used in the past. Think just needed a whinge more than anything else!

11. You go ahead and have a whinge! Ankles are beastly things and I can understand why you feel mis.
    You won't starve [​IMG]

12. Much sympathy about the ligaments - I have been there three times! (my left ankle is a right mess).
    Ready meals are so rare here and dross anyway, if you can get one.
    If I were you, I would go for something very simple - buy a chicken portion or a fish portion, stick in a pan, throw on some frozen veg and some stock. Cook on the hob with a close lid rather than putting in the oven.
    Add some cream and some broken up spaghetti right at the end to thicken. Eat out of the pan!
    Or order a salad and a pasta dish from the Italian takeaway! When I am ill, I tend to order an "Alfredo".
    Do you have a Netto nearby? They have the VitaVital range - you can eat those ready meals without gagging. Also the gourmet range (they have lots of Bavarian stuff!). Not brilliant, but fine for a weekend with a knackered ankle and no OH around.
    Honestly - stuff the eating healthy for this weekend. Stick a frozen pizza in the oven if you must (go for Wagner pizza, they are the best frozen ones).

13. catherinaaa

I've given in to pizza from the local Italian... I'm proud of myself as sat on floor and managed to build a bathroom cabinet! Can't put it up obviously and need to get an electrician apparently to sort the lighting bit, but proud nonetheless as have lost so much of my independence and zest to do anything that I feel this is wuoite an achievement! Goingto have a lazy evening and watch Eurovision, poss with more pizza or pasta!
    Not near enough to a Netto-, there is only a grotty Tengelmann within hobbling distance. Went to my local Apotheke earlier, normally a 10 min job in total took me just over half hour. I've found out I'm stuck at home for at least another week as well. I'm gonna get tubby again!

14. That is what I am doing!

15. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Op, I fully sympathise: I sprained my ankle and b****ered up my other foot yesterday afternoon. I'm hobbling around with great difficulty but I will NOT be beaten by this and refuse to play the invalid.

16. catherinaaa

Sorry you also hurt your foot Landaise! I'm much more mobile than a week ago but still struggling. Can hobble round the flat now but getting out on my own still tricky. Did you go to A&E or the doc? How long are you going to be laid up for? I'm at home this week then have MRI scan next week. Tried walking on it yesterday, was not a good idea! That leg looks all skinny and mushy compared to my left leg! Are you able to do your household jobs etc?

17. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I was very naughty and didn't go to the doctor's (this happened on Sunday so not possible anyway!) or A&E : 40 mins drive to nearest one so that was out too.
    I'm much better, was looked after immediately by OH who is a qualified first aider, so only swelling now and I'm getting around Ok, if a little slowly. Anti-inflammatory gel curtesy of rugby playing son has been wonderful for getting the swelling down and I'm not the sort of person that takes kindly to R&R.
    Good luck with your injury, I was lucky as it could have been much worse.