1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor treatment after resignation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Calmac4, Jun 15, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't do it would be a good plan

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So they are bad enough managers to have lost many staff and have to justify this by pointless bullying of the people who are leaving presumably to act as a deterrent to stop the next tranche of staff leaving next year.

Good luck with that one.

collinssteve446 and peggylu like this.
  3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

It can matter a lot nowadays though. New staff at many schools have to provide the written evidence of their last appraisal grades at the start of the new school's PM cycle. In one school I had to provide my last 3 years of PM appraisal letters to show evidence of the sustained good and outstanding performance I had told them I had 'achieved' in my application and at interview.

However, a 4 in just one area of PM, i.e. marking does not automatically equate to a low appraisal grade overall. It does increase the odds though. It will be the grade given for results that is looked at in more detail.

So a grade 4 as an overall PM grade is not a very good start at a new school is it. Especially if the 4 is undeserved and given out of spite or incompetence.

It's all a power game to some SMT's with no thought given to the human beings involved.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Fortunately I've only worked in one school like that and I only had to put up with up with it for a year.

5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

This is very likely imo.

6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Unfortunately, it is usual practice in many schools and many of us have experienced the excessive focus on PM grades determining our pay, promotion prospects and reputations first hand. You're only deemed as good as your last years's grade to some managers.

Many SMT's dare not follow Ofsted's advice on grading as they think it leaves them with no, supposedly, objective data to back up their staff performance monitoring processes.

A lack of evidence in this area could lead to a low leadership and management Ofsted rating and impact on their own appraisal grades.

It's okay Ofsted saying they don't expect it but if SMT's feel they have have few other ways to prove, on paper, that 'robust' monitoring is happening then the numerical grading of lessons, marking, results, contributions to school life, professional attitudes, attendance, contributions to department (all real appraisal categories I have experienced) will continue to blight all ours lives.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Given Ofsted say there should be no grading, it makes sense to not mention grades in any application letter.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If I was asked to find my last appraisal paperwork (let alone the last 3 years) I would need a trip to the council tip. I didn't even keep mine from one year to the next. My HoD used to give me a copy of his each year to remind me of the targets.

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

In these days when budgets are being cut then the best cut that could happen (without affecting the children) would be to cut SLT numbers.

My last (secondary) school had 12 SLT. Not sure what half of them did but they were very good at introducing new initiatives that tool more and more of teachers' time.

geordiepetal and peggylu like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It is amazing (and frightening!) at how self-assured some school managers are. In the OP's case, it does not seem to have occurred to this Head that the fact that half his staff are leaving at the same time might have anything to do with him. No insight at all.

@Compassman: I agree entirely. To employ more managers to tell people what to do, and how they should do it, the numbers of those managed is repeatedly cut until they break under the workload.

11. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I agree, to voluntarily mention grades if not asked in an application letter would be slightly odd.

However, Outstanding =1 Good = 2 RI = 3 and Inadequate = 4, and everyone currently working in education knows these (dubious imo) links. So if you are directly asked to provide prior PM appraisal evidence of good to outstanding performance to go with your application or at interview (or more often at the first PM point after starting the job) then either one of these words or these numbers will be written on your yearly PM outcome letter - from your previous school. This forms your written evidence.

I'm not just guessing that this is the case, receiving yearly written PM judgements ( with a grade and category) is the real life annual experience of myself and of many other teachers.

12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Don't worry. Your previous SMT will have it all on a spreadsheet somewhere. Even the evidence teachers need to provide towards passing PM is increasingly being asked to be provided electronically.

There is obviously a vast disparity in what different schools are asking teachers to provide for PM and for pay progression/new post applications. If you and @chelsea2 genuinely don't recognise what I'm talking about here fgs stay in the schools you are at, I'm really envious. :)

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You should be even more envious, as I have retired - just working one afternoon a week doing small group intervention work (no PM, no observations).:p

peggylu likes this.
  14. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:D Now I'm bright green with envy.

chelsea2 likes this.