1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor treatment after resignation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Calmac4, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Calmac4

Calmac4 New commenter

So today I've had feedback on my recent SLT scrutiny saying my marking is a grade 4! The reasons given were not using a students name and no reference to effort. I looked over the books with my HOD and we found lots of examples of references to effort and names used. Stickers and credits with comments saying fantastic effort or similar. HOD will challenge it as he says the books are not a 4 and it may be because I am leaving at the end of the year. However, we have full observations next week I am convinced I will be graded 4. Other staff who are leaving and were also previously good is suddenly on the verge of capability. Does anyone know if I can refuse my observation as I do not feel they will be impartial?

Also anyone know of this happening at other schools. I am one of 16 leaving and am doing so for family reasons as we relocate.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There is no pay portability. And no, this isn't usual. Ofsted says, we don't grade teachers and we don't encourage schools to do so either.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sad stuff - do have a union rep who can stick up for you alongside the HoD?
    I would like to encourage you to chill, if they say they don't like the lesson, they can't sack you. Furthermore, if they grade your lesson as unsatisfactory it will need to go in their observation records as x% of lessons were inadequate (although they'll probably then say "so we got rid of Calmac" even though you went for other reasons).

1 person likes this.
  4. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Consider carefully what you might do from here - and the possible consequences. After all, your school is providing your reference and something could upset the applecart. As you are moving on anyway, you could try to see this period through and the observation will be a distant memory once you've established yourself in your new school.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I would wonder why they are wasting their time (no offence meant to you) if you are leaving anyway. Do they not have enough data on you already to write any references they might need to write in the future? I would have thought that they might have better things to do (like interviewing for 16 new staff, for example) to be honest.

6. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Exactly and yet so many SLT continue to be so grade focused despite all the evidence and advice not to. Sadly sometimes I think it's a power trip...

I would personally do as they ask- it's only for a few week more, you need the reference and is probably more stressful to fight it then to go back and just tick their boxes

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Your school appraisal policy will answer this but probably not the answer you want. If you are feeling particularly bloody-minded you could flatly refuse citing the Action Short of Strike Action from the union as I bet the school is over-observing by that criteria. But why stick your head that far above the parapet.

As the above posters suggest, just lump it and tick off the days to the summer.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

All I can say is keep going and stick it out. There are only 26 days left and they cannot sack you.

I retire at the end of this school year and the stress is getting ridiculous such as the GB inviting the new HT to meetings behind my back.

I am not going to let the boggers get me down. Leave at the end of the term with your head held high and your pride intact

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When you say you are leaving, I'm assuming you have another post to go to?
    That all references and written offers and acceptances and all that are all done and finalised.
    If so, let them grade you anything you like, it matters not a jot.

10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I am so sorry to hear that Jesmond. Just focus on your fabulous retirement.
    Not long now.

11. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

It beggars belief. What is wrong with these SLTs? They must be full of people on power trips. I know many SLTs are full of professionals who want the best for their staff and pupils but how do these other people get so high. Thank goodness you are moving on from this place. Good luck with your relocation.

collinssteve446 and Tinycat1234 like this.
  12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If your HoD is supportive, perhaps he could ask if he could observe alongside SLT? I'm sure he could concoct a reason - wanting a better idea of how they grade lessons, perhaps.

13. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

I'm so sorry to hear that you yourself are being treated so shabbily too.
    You come across as a very professional, caring and level headed Headteacher.

Compassman and bevdex like this.
  14. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

I don't think they have anything else better to do !
    It sounds as though they are putting you all through the mill, hoping to make it look as though you and your colleagues are at fault and that they were the " proactive " type of SLT having a good purge should questions arise as to the big turn over of staff !
    I have to wonder ( though it still isn't right ) if they know or remember that you are leaving due to relocation . What an uncaring bunch .

collinssteve446 likes this.
  15. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Jesmond, nul illegitimi carborundum.

Mrsmumbles and Jesmond12 like this.
  16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Thank you - that was a very nice thing to say.

I could go off sick with stress but I owe it to my dedicated and wonderful staff to stay and deal with everything at this very busy time of the year.

17. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

They probably don't want to pay the holiday pay?

18. GreyOldTyke

GreyOldTyke New commenter

SLT will be justifying their existence; just think how much education money would be saved if Ass. Head. Teacher was removed from SLT.

How many HoD would be able to manage their department without their line-manager ( yes you do work in a factory)?

collinssteve446 likes this.
  19. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

This is brilliant!! I think you're so right - there's a culture in so many places of justifying their roles by running around finding faults that would have been found without them... I wonder what impact the role has had on raising standards

20. Calmac4

Calmac4 New commenter

Thankfully my resignation letter said I was ending my employment on the 31st August and I have a reply confirming this. We think it is because they need to justify the large staff turnover, they've lost the whole department over this year. I do have another post to go to and am moving on for my family but obviously it's personal against them.

I've got a plan for my observation which my union rep thinks will work so we will see if I can pull it off!

Norsemaid likes this.