1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor student behaviour during an interview (sample lesson)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Tactful_Teaching, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Tactful_Teaching

Tactful_Teaching New commenter

Hi

This week I interviewed at a school and was gobsmacked by the students' behaviour. Despite my best efforts they wouldn't settle. I was simply dumbfounded because three teachers were in the room - the HOD, the 2i/c and another English teacher- yet the students' behaviour was reproachable. One teacher said to me "I don't know why they gave you the most challenging year 7 group" but that's not the point.

I declined the job before it could even be offered - if it was even going to be.

Is that standard now in interview lessons? Or was that just a school that's "good" on paper but underperforming in reality? I haven't interviewed for 10 years so I'm out of the loop.

Any similar experiences? I just assumed that the presence of three known teachers would have instilled some fear in the class, but clearly not :/