1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor spelling and phonic knowledge upper KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by regencyrob, Apr 7, 2011.

1. My class of year 5's have really poor spelling. Even my above average ability children struggle to spell simple monsylabbic words.
    Does any one teach spelling and phonics as part of their literacy anymore in year 5?
    HOw do you do it? I would need to teach it as a differentiated lesson to the whole class.
    Some of the children are targeted for phonics work and are using direct phonics but these are small group interventions for the lowest ability children when I really need something for the whole class.

Cheers
    RR

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

There is support for spelling and spelling bank from the dfes. I teach it after morning assembly.

Then I like to blame key stage 1.

3. I know of no better way to improve Year 5.6 spelling than the right dictation course. The one I used is non-prescriptive in that pupils choose their own dictation topic - it is adjusts to the natural writing pace of each individual child and it has an onscreen spelling helper so that the children get no practice in writing words with the wrong spelling and lots of practice and writing correctly spelled words. In addition, the dictation strategy enhances listening and grammar skills. Spelling and writing improvements are readily measureable over a term.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We do 10 mins of phonics & spellings daily using the RML material. We literally recap on sounds and then do an activity based around the weekly spellings.

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Could you elaborate please? What do you use?
    Thanks.

6. Ha ha Like me!!

Thanks guys Eddie is it a propriety dictation programme?

7. Apologies. I am a retired head teacher turned author, publisher and researcher. I am currently conducting a research project called Every Child a Level 5 English in 2011. Ths project finishes next month with the Keyu Stage 2 tests. The project CD contains my own materials. I would be happy to send you a copy of the research CD - no costs - no registration - no strings whatsoever. All I would expect is your personal reaction to the materials - particularly the Dictation courses of which there are two. The CD also contains a 300 title graded library for vulnerable readers, a Comprehension Course and Jumpstart - a suite for the most vulnjerable readers from Year 4 to Year 6 The features of the Dictation courses is that they are non-prescriptive, they adjust automatically to the pace of each child and that the onscreen spelling helper ensure that they get lots of practice at spelling words correctly. I fyou are relunctant to email me you address, there are less sophisticated versions of my materials at www.schoolwork.bz The access code is ure132ty but the CD versions are more extensive and much better.
    Send me a mailing address - school or home and I will mail it tomorrow.

8. Eddie please check your TES inbox

9. Regencyrob - it will be with you tomorrow - if you have further queries, then or now, just ask!

Eddie

10. Correction - it will be with you on Monday!

Eddie

11. How does the dictation work? is it differentiated?
    how does it teach the spellings?

12. The opening page offers a range of Dictation topics. Users are encourage to select their own topic. Then they may request that the computer reads the passage through before the dictation session begins - alternatively they can go straight into the session. The first phrase (4, 5 of 6 words) are vocalised. Pupils can use a Say AGain button request a repeat of any or all phrases. There is an easy to use onscreen spelling helper which includes all words in the passage of four or more words. This helper spells the words vocally and visually, so there is no excuse for even the most vulnerable readers to make spelling mistakes - the children get lots of practice at spelling words correctly, not words in isolation, but within the context of the passage being dictated. There is a 'Next Phrase' button which users select when they are ready to move on. It is part of the reseach project strategy that participaing pupis later read their dictatin passage from their execise books to their table group.
    Ther is no formal spelling teaching - no phonics - no work list =- just practical practice of the ltieracy skills.

Ask away!
    PS I dont mind criticsm.

13. Sounds good to me! Would children use it on their own at the class PC or would we all go to ICT suite or get the class set of laptops out?
    How much time does it take? more than 10mins a day?

14. About 20 mins a day seems to be the norm but each school organisation is different and teachers generally change the routine to suit the existing org rather than vice versa.
    I should explain that I am a Synthetic Phonics enthusiast but i recognise that a significant minority of pupils do not learn how to decode by the formal phonics route and it is pointless to carry on with phonics ad nausem because this discourages those who do not learn by this approach. Children MUST learn to decode but it is not important HOW they learn - only that they do learn. My thesis is that virtually all children, irrespective of IQ can learn the skills component of literacy because, unlike concept acquisiton, skills acquisition is NOT dependent on IQ. I expect to announce in June that my main research school in Staffs will more than double the number of Level 5 English they achieve ie predicted 22 to rise to about 50 with no phonics and no teaching to the test.

15. For those that are interested, there are general instructions for the research participants on my website at www.hotreading.blogspot.com

16. Hello, would it be at all possible to send me the resources as well? I have been looking for a strategy to help with literacy and this looks great. My school address is Martin Treg @ parc eglos, Helston, cornwall, Tr13 8up.
    Thank you

17. Yes. I will post it in the morning. If you are on hols, i wuld be happy to post it to your home address. #If I do not hear from you however, I will send it to the school address.

18. I have no problem whatsoever with dictations and think this is an invaluable activity to plan for regularly right from the early years when writing a letter having been given its sound is a form of 'dictation'.
    Please think about teaching alphabetic code information also, however, if this is not a strong and planned feature of your key stage two provision.
    There are around 20 free versions of an alphabetic code in the form of charts here:
    http://www.phonicsinternational.com/unit1.html
    You can use these with any phonics spelling programme. The giant versions are suitable for displaying in classrooms and there are smaller versions suitable for pupils' spelling clip folders.
    If children are weak spellers, you need to consider 'putting in' information to children including spelling word banks which is achievable for many of the various spelling alternatives.
    Also, if you provide texts which feature the various spelling alternatives, these can be used in a 'self-dictation' way so that learners can use them at their own speed and to engage in their own work without distractions. This is where pupils read and re-read the text, hold each sentence (or phrase) in their heads to re-write on lined paper. They can then self-check as they have the original text to look at.

19. <font size="2">The cause of poor spelling is usually not lack of phonic knowledge but memory failure. &lsquo;Correct&rsquo; English spelling is mainly a matter of memorisation (bed, said, head; leave, sleeve, believe; pitcher, picture; penny, many). </font>
    <font size="2"></font>
    <font size="2">At least 6700 common words - </font>http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2010/11/english-spelling-rules.html<font size="2"> -
    <font size="2"></font>

20. This is an over generalisation - children who use phonically plausible alternatives you could probably put down to memory for example putting sed instead of said.
    However some children cannot compute the sound they hear into a symbol on the page. This is not a memory issue.