1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor spelling and grammar.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3150, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Just got to get this off my chest otherwise I might go pop.
    A new teacher has just been appointed at my school (on a permanent contract) and she has the most appalling spelling and grammar. I think it's a bit worrying to be honest.
    Do I just need to get over myself?

2. No, I feel your pain!
    Too often we hear the excuse 'But I'm teaching the little ones so it doesn't matter!'. Erm, yes it does!
    There was a debate on these forums about new teachers having unlimited chances of sitting the standards tests, which made for interesting reading.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Was this in an email where some people think it doesn't matter?

What she teaches the children (oral and written) is what matters. Wait and see.

4. On an email. For me, I try to get it right all the time so that it's lodged in my brain. But then I think that maybe I shouldn't be so harsh. We all make mistakes, of course, I just worry when there's nothing but mistakes. (She says carefully reading back what she's written).

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL I hate mistakes of that kind as well...but make so many myself I try not to judge too harshly.

Some things are typos and forgiveable, but using 'of' instead of 'have' and so on drives me nuts.

Relax, it's the holidays...

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I come from a generation where care with spelling, syntax and grammar was essential. I still believe this to be true. I feel your pain with poor standards of spelling from colleagues.
    At the moment there is nothing you can do about this. You should be relaxing and enjoying your holiday as you mentally prepare for September.
    Try to relax and to be ready to treat this teacher in a way that well enable him or her to start the new job positively, confidently, productively (and accurately in the spelling department).
    If there is a problem, then it needs to be dealt with in a professional way by the appropriate people.
    Enjoy the remaining time of freedom.
    P

7. Good answer. I feel like I can relax now having had a mini fit! Happy holidays everyone. :)

8. Most of us are much better at seeing other people's mistakes than our own, as u have just proved.
    Primary teachers who are poor spellers can be better at teaching children to spell than the hot shots, because they tend to be more aware of how chaotic and unpredictable English spelling often is.