1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor results

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GirlGremlin, Dec 10, 2018.

1. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I've had some bad news today. My Y11 class have sat an external exam for NCFE VCERT, and we got the results in. Only 6 out of the 19 in my class have passed the exam, which of course looks horrendous.

The exam is a vocational course for Level 2 students, but is offered as an alternative to GCSE for the lower ability. It is a level 2 exam but there are lots of students who would achieve level 1 in GCSE, which is why they have been directed down this route,as it is viewed as more accessible. The exam is tough though, and if the students don't meet one of the 6 criteria then they don't pass overall. So if the mess up one question, they fail essentially.

I was expecting some not to pass, given that they are on track to get grades 2s in their English and maths and just can't access this exam. There is a lot of written material to sift through. However, some really should have passed but didn't because they haven't revised or taken it seriously. The behaviour in the class isn't the best, and a lot of time has been wasted sorting out behavioural problems. The other class achieved a pass rate of 11 out of a class of 20.

I have a "meeting" to discuss this and am worried. Just wondering what sort of evidence I should prepare? I feel like a terrible teacher and am worried to go to this meeting and have it confirmed :-(

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Why did you let them sit the exam if you were not sure they would pass it ?

3. GirlGremlin

Because it's part of the course requirements. Also they have to be given the opportunity in case someone surprises us! SLT wants as many level 2 passes as possible as the Level 1 pass (which is coursework only) doesn't count in the published results for the school.

4. GirlGremlin

Also, not sure if you're primary or secondary, but we can't just stop pupils sitting their GCSEs if we don't think they will pass... just have to accept the final grades they get. I wish we COULD do that my performance management would look much better!

agathamorse and tall tales like this.
  5. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

My understanding of the vcert courses is that there is a re-sit possibility in the Summer?
    I would just prepare a summary of what you have done to create a positive learning atmosphere, show how you have covered the content, and copies of revision materials / intervention etc.
    It may also be worth looking at the similarities between your group and the other one: attendance, KS2/3 data, behaviour incidents etc. Just make sure that you know the data inside out.
    I wouldn't worry too much - I would suspect that when you start drilling down into the data you will find the answers. If there is a resit opportunity you could go to the meeting with proposed strategies prepared.
    Good Luck :)

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There may be a re-sit possibility but the original results will be the ones that count for the school.

7. GirlGremlin

No, the higher of the 2 results will be the one that is counted.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Are you sure about that ?

9. GirlGremlin

Certain.

10. GirlGremlin

I'm just not entirely convinced the results will be any different second time around sadly :-(

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd be scanning the situations vacant pages then.

saluki likes this.
  12. GirlGremlin

Thanks so much, such helpful feedback! I'll have a look at the data tomorrow. Thank you :)

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  13. GirlGremlin

Thanks for your help and support! :rolleyes:

14. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

Also, it might sound harsh but if they have not passed because they didn't prepare / take it seriously this could do them the world of good. I find it frustrating sometimes that our system doesn't often allow failure, (at least not for children). Perhaps one or two of them might work a bit harder now? Is it worth contacting their parents to explain - some of those that have failed due to lack of application might just have a change in attitude.

agathamorse and GirlGremlin like this.
  15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

If they fail altogether because they fail one componant, can you get a breakdown of the results which could explain this? Maybe one particular question was difficult, or many of the ones who failed passed 5 out of 6 sections or something. This might mitigate the result a bit...
    Good luck.

16. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I don't understand why they would sit an alternative exam if they could get a grade 1 in GCSE?

tall tales likes this.
  17. GirlGremlin

That's the new policy, these students are the last through on this course. It's from the old assumption that Btec are easy, despite the reforms which now make them harder than their counterparts at times. School trying to maximise added value I guess with the Level 2 passes.

18. ferretmasta

ferretmasta New commenter

Might be helpful to look at the data for the students in other subjects. Have they performed badly in only your subject? I doubt it. Highly likely the same pattern or worse in other areas I'm sure a friendly colleague (hoy or hod) could provide this.

A great phrase to use is "my interpretation of the data is...". Then just say what you think so it suits you.

My interpretation of your data is that you have obviously been trying to get the absolute best for the students and although in this particular instance results are not as you'd have hoped with continued focus and reflection I anticipate a significant improvement. Then finish with the classic "moving forward". For example "moving forward the support I'd find most useful is an extra 2 non contact hours a day so that I might offer one to one support to those students with the most significant attainment deficit."

19. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@GirlGremlin Hope the meeting with the SLT goes well and s/he understand how committed you are to getting these students the passes they don't deserve.

Why don't they deserve it? Cos they don't do any work and they're badly behaved.

Relax up. It's gonna be okay.:)

20. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I am pretty disgusted that kids are being entered in GCSEs in order to get a Grade 1. What use is that in life? It's not worth the paper it is written on. What help is it for the kids' self-esteem? They have got to sit for hour after hour in exam rooms with not a clue what they are doing only to receive a piece of paper in August which tells they what they already knew: You are thick x 8!!!
    No wonder there are so many kids suffering from stress and disengaged with education. I don't know what the above qualification is. I do know that the kids know that they have been entered in it because they are 'sub-standard'.
    I sympathise with the OP but try to imagine yourself as a student taking that exam. You're struggling, your not academic, you don't know what you're doing and why you are there. You know that the results will confirm what you already knew - you're not good enough.(You're only there to provide some data for the school's performance table! - try explaining that one to the kids.)
    Time to throw the data out of the window and start preparing students for life in the 'real' world, whatever that may be. If it means leaving school at 16 to work in an Amazon warehouse so be it. Time to do away with the education to 18 mantra. Education isn't for everyone.
    My one proviso is that returning to education as an adult should be encouraged and made easier. It's amazing how people change and develop after a couple of years in the workplace.