1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor resources

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by threshs, Feb 28, 2017.

1. threshs

threshs New commenter

How do I make a complaint about a poor resource which was purchased through TES. The resource was bascally just a copy of material available through Kerboodle and nothing original. I left a poor review of the lesson. The lesson has now been removed from TES. I received no reply from my feedback. It may only be a couple of pounds but there should be some safeguard against buying such poor resources.

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

3. cliftonc

cliftonc Guest

@threshs really sorry to hear that you had a poor experience, if you email help@tes.com and pass on the details I'm sure someone will be able to assist you.

4. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

I have also downloaded a resource recently that was just copy and pasted from a free website

5. gregodowd

gregodowd New commenter

I haven't really been following the development of the new TES 'Premium' resources website over the last 2 years but I was invited at it's inception to contribute resources as a Premium author.I was given very strict guidelines on the quality of resource expected. I created about 40 resources that took quite a bit of time to make.Each resource was vetted by the TES team. I cannot see how new resources can be vetted to the same standard now that there are so many 'authors'. Is the TES website going to end up in a similar position to where it was 3 years ago where quality resources are swamped by the mediocre and downright poor? If so, it is a pity

6. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

There is an awful lot of cr** and a lot of chancers and an awful lot of over-pricing diluting the quality of the site. I sincerely hop that no-one would think of my resources as being in any of these groups. Surely, reputation and value for money is key, but how can anyone find these resources if swamped with rubbish?

7. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Unfortunately I think it ended up there some time ago. Certainly this is the opinion of most teachers I speak to.

The question is how to address the vast quantity of low quality resources, outdated resources and copyright rip-offs?

Perhaps if individual 'shops' were improved to enable the ordering and categorising of resources along with the option to search through an author's resources this could help people to find authors they trust and look through their resources (this is not possible at the moment). This could be further helped if shop landing pages summarised the overall ratings/reviews an author has in order to indicate the general quality of their work.

The present situation leaves a lot to chance.

8. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Being able to categorise & search within shops would be a big improvement!

mathsmutt, emjcot and mrajlong like this.
  9. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

Each subject has a 'panel' of users who review resources every few months (as many as we can). However, at the moment we can only access free resources so only look through those. I have made the suggestion a couple of weeks ago (to the panel leader and whoever he works with overall) that panel members are given more access to paid resources so we can view/check them fully. That way we would be able to start giving paid stuff the 'tick of approval' (or, in relevance to this thread, information about whether a resource is actually worth paying for).

Am not sure how far this suggestion has got, or whether it is even feasible though...

ncrumpton, mathsmutt, cate_h and 2 others like this.
  10. thinkypublishing

I'm happy to provide review copies in exchange for feedback.

Perhaps TES could provide authors with a limited number of 'review vouchers' each term to an author that they could then provide to people on request.

Members of the TES panel could then request review copies directly from authors.

In the meantime I sometimes provide newly created resources to people I've spotted in the forums who are looking for relevant things. Feedback then goes on to my website, although on reflection I could add them to the resource descriptions on here too.

mathsmutt and emjcot like this.
  11. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Good idea @thinky.

It's also good to know there's a panel of people out there popping their green ticks on worthy resources, thanks @Owen134866. However, seeing as there's a push on premium resources, it does seem odd you don't have access to those. Or odd that you don't at least see more previews of files/presentations to make a judgement.
    Out of interest, how many resources would you say get a green tick if you looked at 50 resources, for example?

Owen134866 and mathsmutt like this.
  12. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

I'd say on average probably 1/50 get 5 stars. In my opinion, to get 5 (and hence the tick), a resource would have to be essentially complete. For example a worksheet with no answers wouldn't qualify as I would then have to do them myself. Similarly if there is a nice presentation but with no questions to go with it, I would then have to get some myself. I guess I'm lazy - if a resource means I have to do work myself to make it classroom-usable, it wouldn't get 5. Could get 4/5 though of course if it is still good.

If it was a paid resource then the above would most likely be amplified further - If I have paid for something then I wouldn't expect to be putting much of my own time in to make it work.

13. thinkypublishing

I'm not convinced this diligence is applied by all reviewers based on what I see as recommended on my home feed.

I'm also curious that if reviewers don't have access to paid resources, why is that some authors have a considerable number of recommended resources for their premium resources? I assume this is due to TES staff making additional recommendations (and it would seem with some bias). If so that lessens the value of the system.

Maybe better to have two different ticks. One for those that have been genuinely reviewed by the review panel, and a (lesser) one for those provided with a tick by TES staff.

pascuam49 and Littlesherbetlemon like this.
  14. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

I cannot say for certain, but I have a theory!

If you look at a lot of the premium resources which have many reviews, when were the reviews posted? The premium stuff was only introduced in around January 2015 I believe. Reviews from before then would have been posted when the resource was free of charge and as such would no longer necessarily be accurate. If you upload a resource now freely, it is not possible to subsequently change it to premium. However, when the system moved across to offer both types, I noticed that it seemed to be possible to re-select the license for a resource by editing it (It is no longer possible).

This is a theory and may of course be completely wrong!

The alternative would be that a panel member bought a resource for themselves personally rather than as a part of their work for TES. They might have then liked it and reviewed it independently.

15. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

There are a lot of premium reviews for newer resources. There does seem to be a tendency when they are doing blog posts to just check what a certain author has done and pick their resource to green tick rather than look further in which leads to some people having 30 recommended premium resources and many having none.

thinky likes this.
  16. thinkypublishing

There is definitely a fair bit of 'lag' from resources switched from originally free to premium, but this largely biases the number of reviews (and this could have been easily remedied by a note next to reviews indicating that the review was given while free or after which would also have enabled the weighting with the search algorithm)

I don't think this is the cause for the number of resources provided with recommended ticks. The example I saw looks more like a deliberate allocation of 'ticks' to a particular author's work.

This is not to say those resources weren't worthy. But it does suggest that ticks are allocated for various reasons and only one of those is due to the thorough type of review that you outlined above.

If the recommended tick is to be an indication and assurance of quality I think it's important to know on what basis they can be awarded. It's also important for authors to understand how they gain or be considered for them.

Currently it seems that it isn't a level playing field and there are multiple referees using different rules.

17. thinkypublishing

That seems a likely explanation.

18. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

Could you give me a couple of examples of what you mean? I have to be honest and say I haven't noticed anything myself!

19. thinkypublishing

No I don't think it would be fair to single out somebody.

I hadn't previously noticed either until it happened to be drawn to my attention.

20. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Think we had a thread about this a while ago. I did contact TEs about the free now premium resources and was informed that they would not be doing anything about it, despite me pointing out the somewhat unethical practise of showing reviews from when a resource was free. Jeez, how many 5 stars did I used to give just to say ta? Not because it was a fantastic resource per se! Anything with more than 10 or more reviews is likely (not certainly) to be a previously free resource (my best seller only has 7 reviews)...