1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor Maths! Tip of the iceberg! UK primary education is RUBBISH!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jameseypop, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Primary education has got progressively worse over the last 10 years (or more).
    It is now so bad that I truly pity what we are churning out.
    Teachers, heads, university lecturers and those higher up MUST be blind to the staringly obvious fact that the prescriptive, dull, lifeless and incredibly picky and analytical drivel that they deliver to the children serves no purpose other than to switch off the potential for any meaningful learning.
    • Maths in Primary school = Confusion
    • English (Literacy) = Minute dissection
    • Science = excuse for more literacy
    • Other subjects = more literacy and a worksheet
    • PE = Actually OK!
    • RE = complete waste of time
    We are doomed!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I want to register that fact I have read your post but cannot bring myself to comment. I have better things to do this weekend ...

3. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

I just hope the original poster has visited every primary school in the country and observed every teacher in every subject before making such a sweeping generalisation.

4. There are faults but It's what you make it. Yes, there is the curriculum to follow- deliver in a creative way and make the most of it to maximise your children's learning experiences.

You must find your job very hard with such a negative outlook?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think the OP is a teacher

6. Don't think the OP has been near a school recently.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Is it wrong for me to think the OP actually raises some valid points? The over-emphasis on 'literacy skills' and skills in general (although not everyone seems to know what they are) in all other areas of the curriculum for instance.
    I know not enough is placed on actually knowing things, but letting the children find them out for themselves. I have seen far too many teachers take this to mean they don't have to teach any knowledge anymore.
    Saying that, the OP is clearly not clued up with everything in Primary schools and is fishing for responses.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the OP does have a point.
    The way in which the point has been made is clumsy, inflammatory and inaccurate - clearly, the above doesn't apply to every school and there are lots of good schools where it doesn't apply at all, but...
    ...schools that have blindly accepted and adopted every piece of initiative and every new framework or strategy that has been turned out over the last ten years may well be doing all of the above.
    And therefore offering a a poor education.
    Great heads, in my experience, are perfectly happy to stick two fingers up at the majority of new initiatives (and the local authority, historically).
    It's the ones who jump on all of the new ideas and frameworks in search of a panacea who end up with confused schools, confused staff and confused kids and ultimately poor results. And there are more than a few of these out there.
    Blame successive governments and poor heads though - not teachers.

9. I'm applauding the last post. True, so true.
    I respect any Head who says that they won't jump on every band wagon, or every new initiative or try to be my friend. The latest news report is a bit of a sweeping statement, but there's an element of truth in it.

10. (although not everyone seems to know what 'skills' are)

That is a very valid point - we talk endlessly about 'maths skills', grammar skills, readign skills, spelling skills etc etc and yet teachers are not taught that skills are a very special category of cerebral activity. Skills are actions that, given sufficient practice, become an automatic reflex reaction to a particular stimulus without conscious cognition. Driving is a good example - while we are driving, our conscious minds are elswhere - sometimes a very long way away - but we can still react to the often dangerous demands of being in traffic etc. Any activity which does not have the potential to become a reflex reaction is not a skill. Skills competence are the exclusive product of training - not of education. You cannot acquire any skills purely by a cognitive route - practical experience has to form a major component of the learning.
    Success in the teaching of any skill has been achieved, not some when 'creative' module has been 'ticked off'' but when the learner's reaction to the problem is wholly reflex and does not involve thinking about how to carry it out.