1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor maths levels or 'wrong' KS1 results?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Anonymous, May 13, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And if they all made the "expected" progress, everyone woud be on level 5s by the end of y6. It's really tricky - they might just be a level 3 at the end of KS1. You then put them in year 3 and there's the infamous year 3 dip as they settle into Year 3. A 3b and 3A has high demands to achieve.
    I've been there - all these "high" achievers from Y2 don't perform in Y3 and Y4.

2. I feel for you - but as a year 2 teacher we also have pressure on us to get the children to achieve 3 - yes 3!- sub-levels progress in year 2. If you just go by the SATS paper, a level 2a is, I feel, very easy for children to achieve. Good teachers (and I hope I count as one!) should take other things into consideration such as classwork, group work etc. and adjust scores as necessary, but I don't think it always happens. Do you do cross-year moderation? The sooner they shift away from this ridiculous level-focussed system, the better!

3. I agree seebee. We are under immense pressure for the children to make 3 or 4 sub levels progress in year 2. We also have to have certain percentages of level 3 and even if we say certain children aren't the people above us will put them down as a 3 anyway!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Make the levels up based on teacher assessment, that puts the pressure on the year 5 teacher, they'll do the same and that leaves the poor y6 teacher who has to get 100% level 5s based on 2 sub level progress and FFT predictions.
    [​IMG]
    Or maybe we could all work together as a team to ensure consistent moderation.

5. Wouldn't it be nice to work in a system where we assess pupils according to certain criteria and highlight what they can do, leaving the gaps obvious for the next teacher to work on, but without the numbers (levels) down the side. We would all be working to move the children on but it would be much more honest.
    Hmm how would Ofsted know what to judge us on?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

APP?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sorry, didn't read that.