1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor grammar

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scienceteacher11, Nov 14, 2015.

1. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

I am a psychology teacher and worked in the same school for 5 years in inner city London, I enjoyed it but became tired of marking essay with poor grammar it was incredibly difficult to make sense of the work and I spent the majority of my time teaching English rather than developing their knowledge of the subject. I've started at a school in the suburbs with a lower EAL percentage and I am shocked to find that the quality of writing is just as a bad if not worse. I am now wondering whether to try and find a selective sixth form but fear that I'll have the same problems wherever I go. Have all English teachers just got highly skilled at training students to complete exams without actually being able to write clearly? To do my subject you have to have at least a B in English so I'm not sure going to selective sixth form would help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I just don't want to be an English teacher anymore! Correcting a few mistakes here and there is fine but constantly trying to explain to year 12 students the basics of the English language is exhausting when I'm supposed to be teaching them about psychology.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have just answered this on two other forums. No, I don't need to say fora. ;)

Best wishes