1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor customer care - KCC Bewl Water Outdoor Centre

Discussion in 'School trips' started by Prof14, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Prof14

Prof14 New commenter

Has anyone had a similar experience? I booked a birthday party for my son to have a day's sailing with five friends and paid £264 (£44 per person) up front to confirm the booking. On the day, a storm meant the afternoon session was cancelled. In a nutshell, we asked if, in view of the events, our son could come back for the session at a time to suit the instructor. All the boys were disappointed but we were also struck at how expensive it had turned out for a morning that didn't start till 10.30 due to the instructor waiting for the transport rib to be brought across before we could begin. Once parents had collected their children, I left a message with the booking office on the day but heard nothing. Two weeks later, I left a further message followed by an email. When a response finally came, it focused on health and safety - refusing our request because the weather was outside their control.
    Trouble is, we are left feeling stung. We don't feel we had value for money - but worse still, KCC's representatives at the Outdoor Centre left it two weeks to contact us and showed no will to make things right. Has anyone else had a similar experience? If I had been in a professional capacity with a school party, I wonder would their treatment of our case have been kinder?

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

How clear did they make it when accepting your payment that it was likely to be cancelled under certain conditions? I'm no lawyer, but maybe someone could advise you whether they wer clear enough about what might happen.

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Do you have anything in writing?

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We went with our 4 year old to Diggerland last week - in its terms and conditions, it said they offered no refunds (for pre-booked tickets) for adverse weather; as it was threatening rain, we waited until the day, went and got a few hours in before it did start raining. You might want to check the fine print....

What time was the morning supposed to start? If 9 am and you had to wait, that could be a reason to be annoyed; if 10 am, well.........

That said, waiting two weeks to reply is pretty bad customer service. :(

Nothing stopping you from leaving a review on Trip Advisor with the facts.....